Senior Director, Information Technology
Under the general direction of the Chief Operations Officer, the Senior Director is responsible to lead the strategy, vision, planning, daily operations and technical functions of the Allen Institute�s central information technology department. The Senior Director will assess current and future needs and will build and lead teams that provide leading technology solutions to the Allen Institute that are scalable and fiscally responsible. This includes oversight, management and accountability for security and cybersecurity; centralized end-user support and server administration groups; enterprise-level systems engineering, data centers, and infrastructure; enterprise-level business application systems, and overall network needs of the Institute.
The Senior Director will staff the IT Steering Committee, co-chaired by the Chief Operations Officer and Chief Scientific Officer, to develop a common vision and integrated, overarching strategy to support the needs of the scientific community. This position will collaborate and partner with colleagues in the research units for alignment across IT platforms, compute infrastructure, customer service to support and advance the Allen Institute�s mission in open science, big science and team science. The successful candidate will be a �hands-on� leader who possesses strong leadership and technical skills to partner with colleagues and stakeholders across the Allen Institute.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Develop strategy and oversee deployment, configuration, and repair of routers, switches, servers, firewalls, asset management systems, storage systems, computers, telecommunications, and peripheral equipment for data centers
- Lead overall efforts to mitigate and manage risks, create and monitor disaster recovery and security plans; manage the planning and implementation of information security, cybersecurity and data protection tools and software
- Ensure business continuity for uptime, backup, recovery, and redundancy.
- Research and implement new technologies which enhance business efficiency and corporate compliance
- Develop data driven standards and procedures to monitor and continuously improve the management of services; ensure quality and timeliness of deliverables to clients and serve as the primary interface
- Act as senior level escalation point of contact for IT Infrastructure
- Working closely with program management, develop and manage project plans to ensure task execution and dependency coordination and anticipate and proactively address potential schedule and resource risks.
- Assign, schedule, train and review project work to ensure deliverables are on time and within budget
- Develop and manage departmental and project budgets to ensure accurate and timely expense reporting, and to anticipate and proactively address budget complexities.
- Prepare and present oral and/or written technical project presentations
- Oversee and manage teams of technology professionals including end-user support specialists, server administrators, and others as needed
- Work with internal stakeholders and external vendors to evaluate IT systems; when appropriate seek and create competitive proposals (RFPs) from external vendors
- Implement reporting tools, leverage technology to automate organizational tasks, and support internal business applications including those from finance, HR, legal, and other areas as needed
- Continuously seek opportunities and lead efforts in process improvements to enhance the employee experience
- Master�s Degree in related field, or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of direct experience in oversight and management of a highly successful IT team at the Director level; at least 10 years of combined experience across enterprise level technology business applications support, end user computing, server administration, and network security.
- Demonstrated leadership experience by providing enterprise-wide direction to computing, efficient uses of resources, and exceptional customer support
- Expert with a wide range of computing technologies and trends, especially as it relates to security, storage, computing, knowledge engineering and systems
- Ability to understand applications, network and system capabilities, and produce infrastructure designs that meet business requirements
- Ability to work with internal teams to defined business requirements and assist in the selection, implementation and support of IT solutions
- Experience in implementing effective and innovative software and hardware tools at the enterprise level
- Proven leadership and ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and motivate professional staff
- Comfortable leading in matrix environment where situations may be vaguely defined, often unprecedented, and unique in character
- Self-motivated and team oriented, committed to integrity, accountability, transparency and operational rigor
- Proven communication skills to effectively respond to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Demonstrated intellectual, analytical and process rigor
- Experienced in effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to executive leadership, colleagues, and/or boards of directors.
- Exceptional capabilities to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems
It is the policy of the Allen Institute to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Allen Institute will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.