Alkermes plc is a fully integrated, global biopharmaceutical company developing innovative medicines for the treatment of central nervous system (CNS) diseases. The company has a diversified commercial product portfolio and a substantial clinical pipeline of product candidates for chronic diseases that include schizophrenia, depression, addiction and multiple sclerosis. Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, Alkermes plc has an R&D center in Waltham, Massachusetts; a research and manufacturing facility in Athlone, Ireland; and a manufacturing facility in Wilmington, Ohio. For more information, please visit Alkermes’ website at www.alkermes.com .
Alkermes is seeking an experienced Senior Director of Commercial IT Solutions. This individual is familiar with leading a skilled IT team in implementing modern commercial, patient services and medical affairs solutions across a dynamic and growing pharmaceutical company. This individual will be a key member of the IT leadership team and will oversee the IT management team leading IT applications and solutions across the commercial-related business areas while advancing digital and analytical capabilities for the organization.
- Provide leadership, vision, and direction to the commercial IT organization to foster a business-oriented culture to ensure alignment and contribution to the company and functional goals and objectives.
- Lead the development of the commercial IT strategy and roadmap, and ensure the teams integration with the overall IT and enterprise strategic plans through coordination with the VP of IT, CIO, and other IT leaders.
- Act as a trusted advisor to your business partners build and maintain relationships with other IT leaders and commercial (and other related) business executives to develop a clear understanding of commercial business needs and corresponding delivery of IT services to meet those needs for the organization.
- Develop and control the annual operating and capital expenditure budget for the commercial IT team to ensure it is consistent with overall strategic objectives and is within the overall plan.
- Ensure that commercial IT services and processes (including those of external service providers) are conducted in line with corporate, environmental and technical policies and applicable standards, legislation, and regulations (e.g. FDA, GxP, Sarbanes-Oxley, GDPR, HIPAA)
- Direct the commercial IT vendor management strategy to make the most effective use of available internal, contract, and external service provider resources and provide management oversight for strategic partner relationships and vendor contracts.
- Foster innovation and creative solutions to the meet opportunities within the commercial organization and respond with agility to changing commercial business priorities.
- Manage communications across IT leaders, IT management and staff to ensure effective collection and dissemination of information regarding commercial IT and global applications.
- Manage project risks in a timely manner to ensure that adverse outcomes are minimized and controlled.
- Provide leadership, direction and day-to-day oversight to the commercial IT team (including staffing, budgeting, and other relevant management and administrative functions).
- Identify, mentor, develop and retain high performing information technology professionals.
- Provide leadership to ensure the overall digital strategy matures appropriately as the organizations needs grow (within commercial, medical affairs, and across the organization).
- Participate in senior business leadership discussions where you will be asked to provide business relevant updates on IT initiatives and strategies.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or equivalent); advanced degree preferred
- 12+ years of technology leadership experience with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- 5+ years of working experience managing commercial, medical affairs, and patient services IT initiatives including large external service provider partnerships within Pharmaceutical and/or Biotech environment.
- Demonstrated experience managing IT services and solutions related to sales operations, marketing, digital marketing, medical affairs, sales data analytics, and patient services.
- Demonstrated capability in managing and executing IT transformational initiatives in complex and dynamic environments.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing Veeva CRM or Salesforce.com solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in leading IT implementations to support pharmaceutical drug launches for a commercial organization.
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate a commercial IT vision that inspires and motivates staff and aligns to the IT and commercial business strategy.
- Strong organizational skills and experience building consensus across the IT and commercial business teams.
- Ability to perform under pressure and lead multiple priorities with competing demands for resources.
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning and execution skills.
- Strong commercial business acumen with knowledge of interdependencies that impact the organization.
- Expertise in budget planning and financial management.
- Deep understanding of current and emerging digital capabilities for pharmaceutical sales and marketing organizations, as well as how other entities are deploying these capabilities.
- Strong vendor management and partner relationship skills to identify and leverage both internal/external resources to enhance capabilities that support commercial business objectives.
- Ability to provide and support creative solutions meeting needs of IT, commercial, and related organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts and technologies to commercial business leaders, and commercial business concepts to the IT workforce.
- Experience with full software development life cycle in regulated environment (FDA, GxP, HIPAA, SOX, GDPR and other data privacy, computer system validation, a plus)
- Proven track record for on-time, on-budget delivery over a portfolio of projects.
- Ability to adapt and remain effective in a changing environment.
- Deep understanding of data management / MDM concepts
Personal Attributes Needed:
- Inspirational and adaptive leadership style that promotes and fosters innovation; cross-site and cross-functional collaboration; and commitment to an IT and company vision.
- Ability to instill confidence in the commercial business organization and demonstrate the business value of IT.
- Results-oriented individual with strong influencing, problem solving and negotiation skills that drive accountability.
- Proven ability to build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment (as well as external vendors and service providers) to ensure that segregation and overlapping roles are identified and coordinated.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with senior management, key business stakeholders, and external partners to champion change across the commercial organization.
- Strong ability to communicate technical concepts to nontechnical people to enhance understanding and drive decisions to positive outcomes.
Alkermes, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity, national origin, ancestry, age, mental and physical disability, genetic information, any veteran status, military status or application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under applicable law.