Senior Director, Mortgage Underwriter
PenFed Credit Union is hiring a Senior Director, Mortgage Underwriter in San Antonio, Texas.The primary purpose of this job is to manage all operations related to the Underwriting and Processing of mortgage loan applications, ensuring high quality member service, through the establishment and implementation of appropriate policies and procedures.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Lead multiple, geographically-dispersed teams in order to support the mortgage underwriting function across the organization.
- Design and manage objectives, goals and performance standards for the underwriting of mortgage loans.
- Monitor and maintain staffing levels to ensure proper coverage as well as support the business and hours of operation, providing direct coverage for key position in case of absence.
- Collaborate with Underwriting Managers for completing the monthly scorecards for Underwriters, staff performance evaluations, and recommend content for training and development of Underwriters.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the Mortgage Underwriting team, as well as related departments.
- Assess the training and development needs of staff, instrumental in the development, recommendation, and implementation of programs that will increase job enrichment, employee satisfaction, increase efficiency, productivity and cost-effectiveness. Provide complete overview of the Underwriting quality trending on all Conforming, Conventional, Jumbo & Super Jumbo loans to meet GSE, Appendix Q & PenFed guidelines.
- Responsible for working with Lending Services to get approval from the Credit Risk Committee on changes related to product & underwriting guidelines. Update the Mortgage Origination Manuals related to Underwriting.
- Validate & analyze reports that identify the responsible parties on findings reported by QC, QA, Loan Delivery, Post Closing, Credit Risk and/or Compliance. Communicates all trends for the responsible parties and any necessary follow-ups to Director.
- Provide guidance on escalated underwriting loan scenarios and requirements. Works closely with Senior Manager, Loan Delivery to ensure all saleable loans are meeting investor requirements.
- Remain current on all mortgage related regulations and changes and keeps section staff informed.
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required
- Minimum twelve (12) years related work experience in mortgage lending with at least five (5) years of underwriting experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years direct management experience including providing budgetary information, developing policies and guidelines and disciplinary actions.
- Experience managing mortgage operations that involved customer interaction
- Strong verbal and written communications skills required. Attention to detail required.
- MS office general knowledge required.
This position will supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
There are no additional certifications required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
*Most roles require working in an office setting with moderate noise and the ability to lift 25 pounds.*
Ability to travel to various worksites and to be on-call may be required.
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.8 million members and over $25 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 531-444-8329.