What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:The Sr. Director of Client Services will be responsible for leading relationship development, profitability of the book, and client retention of the business for the company. These efforts should be accomplished by leading the account management team, and by working with the sales team. In addition, this position will be responsible for account relationships and retention through service provided by service operational groups such as Claims, Field Service Support and Conversions. This position will also work closely with the VP of Strategy and Innovation, Marketing, and Insurance Services as well others across the organization.
- Produce profitable book of business that achieves the Operating margin as determined by the company. Establish and maintain relationships with various decision levels of account (President, “C” level, Vice President levels).
- Build and lead the relationship building strategy across the service organization using internal and external best practices and innovative approaches.
- Utilize CRM, data and analysis to build and track Key Performance Indicators focused on relationships, retention and profitability.
- Review and endorse or revise budget proposals and expenditures received from direct reports for the control of budget spending, labor efficiency and customer service.
- Direct, monitor and appraise the performance of areas immediately reporting and provide necessary coordination between activities. Provide reports to subordinates on interpretation of results and approve/recommend changes in direction of plans.
- Define and recommend objectives in each area of Operations.
- Coordinate with other departments in establishing and carrying out responsibilities. Seek mutual agreement on problems involving coordination.
- Review and recommend major projects involving major functional changes within the Department’s functional areas.
- Establish and review annual objectives to immediate subordinates.
- Select and maintain qualified personnel in all positions reporting directly and recommends compensation for those positions.
- Maintains appropriate communications within area of responsibility. Keep employees informed as to company/department plans and progress.
- Make recommendations for improving effectiveness of policies and procedures.
- Assume other activities and responsibilities from time to time as directed.
- Sound knowledge of Collateral Protection Insurance and other related Property and Casualty insurance products.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing client and customer service.
- Experience using a robust CRM platform, preferably Microsoft CRM or Salesforce.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft office products, including Excel and Word.
- Excellent leadership skills, including visioning, developing, coaching and mentoring that advocates team concept
- Ability to build consensus across an organization.
- Proven ability to recruit, train, and motivate personnel in order to balance staffing strength with profitability and growth.
- Strong data, analytical, numerical and reasoning skills.
- Well developed interpersonal skills.
- Ability to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive-but able to recognize and support the organization’s preferences and priorities.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Results oriented with the ability to balance other business considerations.
- College degree and/or minimum of ten (10) years direct experience in client relationship, and operations, environment with proven track record.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Property and Casualty insurance experience required.
- 5+ years’ of management experience required.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.