Social & Scientific Systems (SSS), a DLH company, works to improve public health worldwide by providing technical, research, and program management services to government, nonprofit, and commercial clients. The SSS team offers a synergy of expertise in clinical research services, epidemiology and public health studies, health data management and analysis, and program evaluation and policy analysis. Please join our dedicated staff in an environment that values diversity and supports health, well-being, and professional growth.
SSS is actively seeking an enthusiastic Senior Director of Clinical Research Operations to provide senior leadership and growth within our Senior Clinical and Public Health Sciences (CPHS) group. CPHS has a strong portfolio of programs within the National Institutes of Health (NIH) including the National Institute of Allergy, and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), National Cancer Institute, and National Institute of Nursing Research (NINR). Our staff provide a variety of clinical research services including but not limited to clinical capacity building, protocol development and implementation, data management and biostatistics, site and laboratory support services, clinical monitoring, safety/ pharmacovigilance, quality assurance and regulatory affairs.
The Senior Director of Clinical Research Operations is responsible for program oversight; cultivating client and partner relationships; business development; staff recruitment, mentoring and supervision. The Director reports to the Group Vice President, CPHS and works collaboratively with senior leaders to grow our team and clinical research support services. The Director also provides strategic and operational input into the CPHS portfolio and participates in the development of strategic plans for expanding SSS’ capabilities in infectious and non-infectious diseases clinical research. This individual may serve as Principal Investigator or Project Director on appropriate, complex international or domestic clinical research projects.
We seek a dynamic, visionary leader with the skills and motivation to assist with developing new capabilities and business relationships that expand the client base and scientific portfolio of CPHS. The selected applicant will be a strategic thinker and proven manager with demonstrated leadership ability.
- Participates in strategic and operations planning for SSS and CPHS; implements and maintains operating plans and annual action plans to meet CPHS strategic goals.Creates new business opportunities in the area of clinical research through use of established networks and contacts at DOD, CDC, NIH, and other US Government agencies; commercial companies; foundations; and other sponsors/funders/potential clients. Monitors needs and opportunities across clients and incorporates into strategic plan.
- Contributes to business growth in the CPHS market area through identifying and participating in capture efforts, proposals, and strategic initiatives. Identifies new CRB business opportunities with existing and new clients and communicates opportunities to management. Serves as technical lead on capture and proposal efforts and represents CPHS capabilities in proposals and at client and potential funder meetings. Participates in developing proposal budgets.
- Develops and nurtures business relationships with other SSS Groups, external partners and clients; serves as senior advisor as appropriate for these entities.
- Participates in setting budgets for CPHS; monitors and reports on adherence.
- Reviews and monitors financial and technical performance of CPHS projects and oversees project directors and managers in ensuring outstanding client service, including the quality and timeliness of project deliverables within contract requirements. Collaborates with technical and scientific leaders to design technical approach, solve problems, and identify areas of risk and develop and implement Risk Mitigation and Quality Assurance (QA) Plans for each project.
- Provides leadership to direct-report managers responsible for planning and executing CPHS projects; identifies, hires, mentors, coaches, and oversees performance of managers and technical/scientific leaders in CPHS; encourages professional development in the context of project work. Works closely with supervisors to conduct performance and salary reviews, address performance problems, and manage staff conflicts in accordance with SSS policies.
- Interacts strategically with cross-functional teams and other functional areas in supporting project directors/managers to ensure optimized project staffing and resource utilization, timely project deliverables, and consistently high performance standards and quality of work. Collaborates with senior staff in other groups to promote consistency of approach, methods, and performance.
- Maintains awareness of industry standards, regulatory requirements, and SOPs. Within area of control, updates procedures and practices as needed to remain in compliance.
- Performs additional duties, as required.
- MS, MPH, or equivalent degree with specialization in infectious diseases or similar area, plus at least 5 years of proven experience in a senior leadership position successfully managing increasingly-complex infectious disease clinical research projects and supervising staff involved in this research
- Extensive experience in developing winning proposal strategies, a strong track record of winning Federal and other grants and contracts, and a firm understanding of Federal contracting and procurement mechanisms.
- Proven record of expanding lines of work with existing clients as well as to new clients. Evidence of strong relationships with senior officials and infectious disease investigators in in academia, Federal agencies, the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, and regulatory bodies.
- Experience with international clinical research trials and projects is an advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills are essential, as is the demonstrated ability to contribute to diverse projects, manage competing demands, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and to mentor and develop junior and mid-level staff in applicable domains. Some travel, both in the US and internationally, is required.
SSS is committed to fostering a diverse workforce and is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other classification protected by law.