Xanterra Travel Collection, is a growing group of travel and leisure businesses operating in more than 30 countries. Xanterra Travel Collection’s businesses include lodging, food and beverage, Windstar Cruises, short-line railroad, and adventure travel companies. Xanterra is the largest concessioner for the U.S. National Park Service, operating lodges, restaurants, retail shops and guest activities in national parks such as Grand Canyon, Glacier and Yellowstone.
The Senior Director of Supply Chain & Logistics is responsible for the creation and strategic direction of a Supply Chain function at Xanterra Travel Collection. The position is accountable for all aspects of the supply chain and logistics policies, objectives, and initiatives across the Xanterra Travel Collection portfolio. The position oversees the purchasing, analytics, inventory, warehousing, distribution and transportation functions of the organization. The position is responsible for establishing supply chain practices that ensure the availability of goods and services at the optimum cost structure in areas of Food & Beverage, Hotel Supplies, Workplace supplies and services, Information Technology, Marketing, Capital & Operating Equipment and Maintenance, Vehicles and Contract Services, resulting in direct and measurable contributions to the company sales and profitability. The position ensures that project and department milestones/goals are met and adheres to approved budgets. The position is the ‘go-to’ resource to meet the operational purchasing needs of the company.
Importantly, the position will synthesize the spend categories, supplier base and underlying technology and talent in the organization to create the supply chain department as a shared services function.
ResponsibilitiesThis essential role is responsible for all sourcing processes to ensure optimal sourcing and pricing and effective vendor performance across the enterprise.Evaluate current sourcing processes and identify opportunities for improvement. Work collaboratively with business functions to establish and implement best practice sourcing processes. Guide all non-centralized purchasing staff in establishing best practices and purchasing guide-posts at the operational levels of the organization.Communicate across all company platforms developing best practices, alignment and common issue resolution utilizing field operations personnel to frame strategic purchasing goals and practices.
Responsible for supplier management and performance across the organization, from identification of suppliers, sourcing goods and services through ongoing management of satisfactory supplier performance.Evaluate all current suppliers for cost structure, quality capabilities and production capabilities; develop industry benchmarking and revisit current vendor network for maximum effectivenessCreate/ enhance Preferred Vendor Network across the company in pre-negotiated terms and conditions to expedite supply where 3-bid process is not applicable, necessary or possible.Establish core direct supplier network, ensuring that all products are continuously available from direct suppliers and distributors to operational locations to support business needs. Work with business units to resolve vendor performance issues including product availability, delivery and billing.Identify & develop vendor portfolio/clearinghouse for common (non-product) services sought most regularly in the company (example: consultants, architectural, store & restaurant design, graphic design).Implement vendor scoring/evaluation and communication process to ensure key vendors are meeting Xanterra requirements.
Create buying channels that significantly increase the efficiency of the purchasing process, reduce the cost to purchase and increase timeliness. Continually work with suppliers, businesses and IT to automate and digitize buying channels in order to improve productivity. Ensure compliance with all regulatory and internal policies (buying categories, DOA, etc.) are met through buying channels.Negotiate catalogs across key suppliers. Implement automated catalog buying through supplier or other portal. Ensure integration with company PO and payment process. Determine applicability and opportunities for use of buying/purchasing cards across the company. Work with preferred vendor and Finance to implement a best practice program. Ensure integration with company payment process.Investigate other channels that improve efficiency across the organization.Continually monitor vendor pricing through buying channels to ensure compliance with contractual terms.
Lead and and guide key contract and supplier negotiations to ensure best terms are achieved for Xanterra. Partner with Legal Department to ensure Xanterra contracts meet all needed legal and regulatory compliance terms.Track underlying markets, know the marketplace, and analyze pricing to structure advantageous contract pricing and provide price trend information to other department heads as needed.Understand negotiation objectives, risks, leverage points and non-negotiables in order to achieve the best possible outcome while maintaining a positive Xanterra brand.Work with operating departments on major capital projects to assist in in the evaluation and negotiation of equipment, millwork, installation and design elements are assessed internally with all General Contractor and Independent contractor supplies, where appropriate.Ensure contracts meet financial terms for organization that provide best return, including payment terms, discounts, vendor participation, SLA penalties, currency exposure, etc. and partner with Legal Department to ensure legal and regulatory compliance.
Responsible for the health of Source to Settle processes across the organization working in conjunction with Finance. Evaluate the end to end Source to Settle process across the business and provide recommendations to implement best practices. Work proactively with Finance to ensure a smooth operation and hand-off from Sourcing to Accounting. Analyze and develop ‘best practice’, best network for freight & logistics flow across the company from a cost and efficiency standpoint, including cost and routing; establish vendor compliance guidelines to improve effectiveness.Work with businesses to monitor slow-moving and obsolete inventory and make recommendations to address.
Partner with businesses to understand major categories of spend and develop strategies managing suppliers to meet business needs and optimizing total cost of ownership.Deploy spend and demand planning analytics and capitalize on ‘full company’ size and scope and communicate across companies to gain cost structure improvement based on scale and leverage.Assist in the analytics and evaluation of ‘local” purchasing efforts to ensure that cost & efficiency standards are met.
Ensure ongoing management of contracts to create visibility of terms, accessibility through a repository and management of expirations and key milestone triggers.Gather all key contracts and manage the creation of an accessible repository. Index and create searchable metadata of all information in the contracts to allow ongoing management.Work with Legal department to create contract templates for all documents in the Source to Settle process, such as PO’s, NDA’s, LOI’s, SOW’s, MSA’s, Contracts, etc. Ensure organization is aware of and uses templates. Establish key triggers in major contracts to ensure compliance with notice and expiration date.
Remain abreast of industry developments, including attending key trade shows.
The ideal candidate will have supply chain and logistics competence, strong technical skills and business acumen, and strategic thinking proficiency. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- 15 or more years’ experience in a lodging/travel/hospitality supply chain/purchasing environment.
- In-depth hospitality industry knowledge of procurement practices including food & beverage, lodging, non-food expense items, capital equipment and FFE, service channels and logistics.
- Experience in negotiating purchasing and contract terms on a broad spectrum of categories, including managing service and maintenance contracts.
- Ability to manage a large and disbursed direct and indirect supplier base across multiple locations. Experience with implementing different buying channels and managing supplier compliance. Preferred experience in reducing a large population of vendor tail spend.
- Preferred experience in Procurement Transformation or other similar process improvement programs that identified best practice gaps and successfully created a higher standard of performance for the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Commerce or other equivalent degree required.
- B.A. preferred.
- Purchasing or project management certification desired, such as Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM), Certified Foodservice professional (CFSP).
Technical & Administrative skills:
- Knowledge of digital procurement platforms, preferably with implementation experience.
- Understanding of a best practice ‘Source to Settle’ process and the ability to translate that to an automated process and workflow.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex, disparate data, create systems and make organizational and vendor recommendations on how to structure the function.
- Highly proficient computer skills in procurement systems, Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Must be able to create spreadsheets, use formulas, graph data and create professional looking output.
- Excellent project and time management skills - must be able to manage several complex projects simultaneously and continually re-prioritize projects as needs change.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain ethical and confidentiality standards in dealings with suppliers and coworkers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, ability to synthesize and present data clearly.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to interface with team members of varying seniority and analytical ability, able to listen and process feedback to create alignment with operational stakeholders.
- Strong organizational and team management skills with expertise in building and managing a team of managers and procurement operations professionals/analysts.
- Ability to travel as needed.