Trinity Industriesis searching for aSenior Director, Trade Compliance in ourDallas, TXoffice. The ideal candidate for this role will have a strong international trade compliance background within the manufacturing/heavy industrial products industry. This individual will lead efforts in design, development, implementation, evaluation, and coordination of customs and trade compliance strategy, programs, policies and procedures associated with export and import regulations. This individual will report within the legal department and will work directly with teams in manufacturing, supply chain, and logistics, as well as other corporate functions.
What you'll do:
• Design and implement processes, policies, and technical solutions aligned with the global trade strategy and business objectives.
• Participate in discussions related to tax and supply chain optimizations to minimize customs and trade compliance risk.
• Implement, evaluate, and enhance customs and trade compliance policies and procedures.
• Develop and maintain standard customs and trade operating procedures and/or local working practices to support the purchasing, sales, supply chain, finance and logistics departments.
• Establish priorities taking into account the risks regarding the fulfillment of the business strategy.
• Integrate global trade requirements into business processes and monitor compliance with all applicable import/export regulatory requirements; drive strategic direction of trade compliance processes to ensure robust risk mitigation management consistent with requirements of all countries and regions in which the company transacts business.
• Use relevant information and experience to determine whether events and/or processes comply with laws, regulations, standards, and/or internal procedures.
• Monitor and report the effectiveness of measures in meeting customs and trade compliance requirements and evaluating exposure to risks related to these requirements in order to detect and resolve customs and trade compliance weaknesses.
• Manage risk mitigation and trade audits; develop, update, and enforce trade compliance policies, procedures, and manuals; and develop and deliver trade compliance training.
• Monitor import and export regulations compliance and update corporate contingency plans as required based on current events.
• Develop policies and procedures to manage selection and use of freight forwarders and customs brokers involved in movement of company international shipments.
• Oversee record keeping related to import/export logistics and compliance.
• Provide guidance across the company on US and foreign laws, regulations and requirements impacting international trade.
• Manage communication processes for internal departments, customs brokers, government agencies, customer and vendors.
• Manage export and import licenses and approvals from foreign regulatory agencies where company does business.
• Maintain knowledge and expertise of current US import/export regulatory requirements and foreign regulations affecting the company. Communicate to corporate and business leadership any changes that could impact the company.
What you'll need:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering, International Relations, Legal Studies or a related field required; J.D. and/or Master’s Degree preferred.
• Must have at least seven (7) years of experience in a trade compliance role and demonstrated working knowledge of U.S. trade statutes and regulations.
• Must have at least three (3) years of experience in a management/leadership role.
• Licensed U.S. customs broker a plus.
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the systems, equipment, tools, and reporting requirements used in the import and export of products.
• Solid project management background, analytical capabilities, and business acumen essential.
• General understanding of business functions such as engineering, sales, operations, and finance in order to communicate and implement effective company-wide compliance processes.
• Strong verbal communication skills.
• Strong written communication skills.
• Spanish fluency or working knowledge a plus.