Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
Position reports to the Executive Director of Worldwide Scientific Publications within Medical Capabilities of Global Medical Affairs and is responsible for the strategy and execution of BMS Hematology and Cell Therapy portfolio scientific publications worldwide. The lead of WW Hematology/Cell Therapy Scientific Publications will ensure the disclosure of the science of BMS products and research data that informs Healthcare Providers and Patients worldwide.
A core member of Worldwide Scientific Publications Leadership Team, the Senior Director of WW Hematology/Cell Therapy Scientific Publications is accountable for:
- Lead and manage a team of over 16 full time and contract staff, with publication portfolio budget of approximately $8M
- Establishing a clear and viable strategy for the Hematology & Cell Therapy Scientific Publications capability, aligned with overall Hematology/Cell Therapy Medical vision, strategy and objectives, and designed to ensure delivery of timely and high quality Hematology/Cell Therapy scientific publications and congress presentations worldwide
- Sets goals/objectives for Hematology/Cell Therapy Publications team, working closely with development and medical leaders
- Lead team to development and execution of functionally integrated and aligned Hematology/Cell Therapy publication plans with a focus on major markets and key assets; adjust publication plans in accordance with clinical trial results/milestones and changes in the market healthcare landscape
- Direct impact on the success of BMS Hematology/Cell Therapy organization with timely journal submissions, publications, and Congress presentations
- Serves as a subject matter expert to BMS internal audiences related to Hematology/Cell Therapy publication planning & data disclosure/dissemination
- Represents BMS Hematology/Cell Therapy scientific publications to external investigators, key authors and journal editors
- Monitoring the external publication landscape and for leading internal process improvements to ensure BMS remains an ethical and credible leader in the practice of publications; leading transformation efforts worldwide and for ensuring BMS publication standards are aligned with Good Publication Practices and industry standards, and all BMS employees engaged in publication activities follow Good Publication Practices guidance with the highest degree of integrity, quality and transparency.
- Collaborates strongly across leadership team & builds credibility and represents BMS in a strong manner with external thought leaders & collaborative partners
- Fostering collaborative relationships with academic & clinical experts, publishers, medical associations & other relevant stakeholder groups; participating in external initiatives to foster trust and respect amongst academic and medical publishing community
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders across the matrix and other Medical Capabilities leadership (e.g., Scientific Content, Customer Engagement, Field Medical Excellence, Compliance & Governance) to ensure efficiency and value
- Identifies and drives opportunities to enhance processes, tools, operating procedures and outsourcing strategy to ensure consistent delivery and alignment of standards across scientific publications worldwide
- Partners externally with 3rd party vendors to ensure the appropriate balance of internal and external execution of work
- Partners internally to identify, set timing and execute data dependencies and related disclosures of information in multiple communication channels
- Establishes clear metrics aligned to meeting customer needs and demonstrating desired outcomes of activities. Regularly communicates metrics with key stakeholders
- Encouraging innovation to keep BMS publication in the forefront of advancing understanding of the science and maximize BMS product value for our customers
- Identifies, hires, develops, coaches high potential employees to ensure a rich pipeline of engaged, empowered and enriched talents
- Ensuring diversity and inclusion in decision making, organization and talent development
- Creates a high performing, externally focused team which emphasizes teamwork, cooperation, personal accountability and a commitment to quality; models BMS behaviors and reinforces such behaviors at all levels in the organization
Position Requirements and Experience Desired
- Advance scientific degree, PharmD, PhD or MD preferred
- 8 – 15 years of Pharmaceutical/Healthcare industry experience with a focus on scientific publications
- At least 7 years of experience of leading a large team or multiple teams; and demonstrated strength in leading teams to high performance
- Proven ability to work in an ambiguous environment, and develop teams with a focus on quick deliverables
- Position requires exceptional business acumen, ability to think strategically, and influence senior executives
- Experience leading cross-functional, cross-cultural project teams, and collaborating across matrix, multiple markets and global geographies
- Demonstrated success driving optimal business results in a large complex corporate environment with multiple priorities and tight timelines
- Ability to manage timelines and quality of work using strong leadership, organizational, communication, facilitation and interpersonal skills
- Proven experience establishing strategic direction for teams, and proven ability to achieve set objectives; ability to take educated risk, rise above technical expertise; demonstrating judgement, wisdom and understanding of impact
- Experience with change leadership and appreciation for complexity of leading teams through change
- Experience leading scientific publications across all phases of drug development and commercialization
- Ability to analyze and interpret clinical data
- Ability to influence and negotiate appropriate solutions; ability to establish strong stakeholder relationships
- Certified Medical Publication Professional (CMPP), and ISMPP active member highly desired
- Pharmaceutical/Healthcare Industry
- External compliance, transparency and conflict-of-interest regulated work environments
- In-depth knowledge of Good Publication Practices and guidance (GPP, ICMJE), Sunshine Act, Pharma Code of Conduct, and other guidance related to post-marketing practices and scientific data communication
- Understanding of clinical trial design and execution, statistical methods and clinical trial data reporting requirements
- Working knowledge of Microsoft suite of applications, and familiar with publication management tool (DataVision).
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.