Seeking a strategic/entrepreneurial thinker who can articulate and drive results with a multi-disciplined team, ensuring all audiences across platforms are fully served with our content presented in an engaging manner. Responsible for staff, including producers and specialists, devoted to digital products for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newsroom.
He/she is responsible for working with content team leaders across the newsroom and other departments to maximize the value of content and assure optimum presentation across platforms, including social media and email newsletters, driving engagement and reader loyalty to ensure business needs and company goals are met.
He/she must be able to guide the team in interpreting real-time metrics as well as understand ongoing research to meet audience interests and needs and provide expert guidance to the team on how to achieve results.
The job will report to the Senior Managing Editor and work as a partner to newsroom/editorial leadership as well as leaders across other AJC Departments and the CMG Tech teams. This person must be able to effectively convey technical concerns, content needs and distribution methods to drive business results.
An understanding of CMS and website functionality and requirements are key aspects of the job. Communication, collaboration, innovation and change management are core competencies for this leadership role. In addition to the technical and day-to-day digital management, individual and team coaching and development are additional core leadership expectations in which the person should excel.
The position requires a high level of autonomy and flexibility as well as the capacity to lead and influence across the newsroom. Some off hours or extended day work may be required, as dictated by newsroom needs and news coverage.
• Ensures that the digital production team is executing against priorities and strategies for cohesive daily, weekend and longer-term digital content plans including breaking news, weather coverage, topic channels/sections, aggregation and original content, and ensures digital team and newsroom execute appropriately.
• Ensure that our digital products are serving audiences and be able to educate and inform senior leadership of objectives, progress and ongoing resource needs.
• Create strategies using social media and other distribution channels (email, SEO, SMS, mobile, push, etc.) to drive readership and promote our brand.
• Drive and execute on digital research that may result in the development and follow through of a digital action plan.
• Works with the Senior Managing Editor on initiatives associated with email marketing, SEO, Audience Engagement, Direct Response Campaigns, Digital Brand Marketing, Digital Vendor Management.
• Leads audience specialists to expand audience development activities within content teams.
• Monitors product analytics regularly looking for best practices and efficiencies that will drive success.
• Executes a digital distribution strategy aligned with and supporting our journalism.
• Produces regular analytics report relevant to newsroom digital performance across various platforms to track success and guide future planning and decision making for digital products.
• Manage newsroom social media budget and/or work with the Audience Dept. on its social media budget.
• Supervises operations roles (digital coaches) responsible for the day to day management of websites.
• Collaborate closely with other senior newsroom managers to ensure cross-content coverage on all platforms.
• Ensure that the digital team responds appropriately to audience metrics and research.
• Coach and performance-manage a multi-disciplined, high-achieving team to ever improving results.
• Ability to identify opportunities for process improvements.
• Inspire non-traditional, risk-taking new idea generation across your team.
• Create an environment focused on continuous learning and improvement, fostering close-knit collaboration.
• Assists with identifying newsroom digital training needs.
• Maintains and cultivates relationships with other CMG newspaper properties.
Bachelor’s degree preferred.
• Five or more years of digital management experience or equivalent proven leadership experience, including significant digital and/or audience engagement experience.
• Demonstrated strong news judgment and excellent editing ability.
• Demonstrated ability to lead teams to follow standards and execute large-scale projects.
• Detail and deadline oriented with a strong ability to organize, analyze, interpret and disseminate information.
• Track record of effectively partnering with different teams across organizations.
• Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills to work effectively across groups.
• Comfort setting direction and drawing insight from multiple, conflicting data sources.
• Ability to think strategically and act quickly on new digital growth opportunities including, but not limited to, social media, SMS, Push Notifications, Email Marketing, etc.
• Ability to lead through influence rather than solely through authority.
• Solid understanding of content management systems, web-based products and standards, web browser capabilities, user experience and common web technologies and a true passion for innovative digital products.
• Understanding of how social media can drive and influence business results.
• Understanding of distribution channels to drive readership and promote the newsroom’s brand.
• Experience working with analytical and reporting tools.
• Familiarity with programming and online design.
• Experience in email technology – automation platforms, tools and data integration tools
• Ability to troubleshoot technical issues related to all aspects of digital execution.
Additional Requirements • Proactive, energetic personality; inquiring, investigative mind.
• Familiarity with ad serving platforms.
• A passion for news of all types and an understanding of traditional newsroom culture and the ability to be a motivating digital change agent assisting in helping people adopt to new processes, systems/procedures, and tools.
• Familiarity with email/newsletter, mobile platforms and ability to maximize results through these platforms.
• Problem solver with solid analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back assumptions and develop day-to-day business cases.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, verbal and written, with the ability to effectively collaborate with business (Audience/Marketing), editorial and technology teams.
• Strong working knowledge of digital analytics tools.
• Some understanding of digital media, content production and advertising industries.
• Ability to work weekend and off hours as dictated by news events.
About Cox Media Group
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing and digital media company. The company’s operations currently include broadcast television stations, radio stations, daily newspapers, and digital sites. Additionally, CMG operates the National Advertising Platform businesses of CoxReps - the country’s biggest television rep firm - Gamut, and Videa. The company also offers a full suite of local and regional advertising services through its Local Solutions and Ideabar businesses. CMG currently operates in more than 20 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly across all platforms. For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at www.coxmediagroup.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Media Group
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-223 Perimeter Center Pkwy NE
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager/Senior Manager
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing