Senior Electrical Engineer
KellyMitchell matches the best IT and business talent with premier organizations nationwide. Our clients, ranging from Fortune 500 corporations to rapidly growing high-tech companies, are exceptionally served by our 1500+ IT and business consultants. Our industry is growing rapidly, and now is a great time to launch your career with the KellyMitchell team.
Senior Electrical Engineer
Job Summary: This position reports to the electrical project engineering manager and is responsible for overseeing and performing electrical engineering and related activities associated with our clients projects, including: electrical equipment calculations, electrical equipment specification and design, design and work plan writing and preparation, cost estimation, equipment procurement, system startup, data management and reporting.
- Oversee and prepare designs and work plans, from conceptual design through detailed design packages. Primary focus is on the electrical engineering aspect; however, expect involvement in other aspects of the design process. Electrical design tasks may include electrical load calculations, short-circuit and overcurrent protection calculations, transformer and wire sizing. Other typical design aspects may include preparation of tray routing, wire routes, etc.
- Develop electrical equipment and power distribution equipment specifications; prepare electrical load calculations for single and three phase loads; prepare electrical single line drawings, schematics and detail drawings as required.
- Develop equipment schedules and material takeoffs; prepare requests for bids for subcontractors and material vendors. Prepare construction and equipment specifications, including means and methods. Compare bids and recommend the selection of subcontractors and material vendors.
- Assist with instrumentation and control system design. Consult with PLC configuration programs, ladder logic diagrams, develop specifications and/or QC subcontractor-prepared PLC programs. Develop point-point wiring diagrams and select components for installs.
- Perform field visits on new project opportunities to determine the available site power, and utility/facility constraints, collect information regarding construction permits, evaluate potential site support contractors, and assist with preparation of cost estimates.
- Oversee maintenance, testing and repair of company-owned electrical equipment.
- Lead electrical design aspects of company projects.
- Perform the function of field engineer, assistant project manager or assistant construction manager (as required), including hands on field work and/or field engineering, supervision of subcontractors, review of daily work schedule and budget. Inspect work of company staff and subcontractors. Communicate issues with project manager or construction manager and unit as directed by the project manager.
- Perform field QA/QC to ensure construction work is performed in accordance with design specification
- Prepare detail drawings and perform fabrication supervision
- Keep project manager and unit informed on design and performance issues.
- Communicate and coordinate work quality or safety concerns to the construction coordinator, project manager, general manager and technology manager as necessary to ensure proper and safe completion of the project.
- Manage tasks as required to ensure work is completed on time and on budget, with a high degree of internal and external client satisfaction.
- Project management work may include coordination and management of material vendors, subcontractors, and company staff. Maintain and report on a project budget and schedule to meet project expectations.
- Demonstrated hands on experience with unit operations and trouble shooting. Ability to work with electrical meters, hand & power tools, etc.
- Always look for new and better ways to streamline the cost and performance of electrical projects, capture information, and make overall improvements as learning takes place.
- As directed, develop new methods/equipment in accordance with approved budget and scope.
- BS or higher Electrical Engineering degree
- Advanced training & experience in electrical power system design & distribution
- At least 20 years electrical engineering experience
- Prefer at least 10 years experience in chemical, refinery or electric utility operations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Self-starter and outgoing personality traits
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Ability to take direction and act independently
- Strong communications and organization skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and stay organized while doing so