The incumbent in this position is responsible for all system level design aspects of new 1kW-20kW RF power generator products under development. The person in this role will develop and maintain comprehensive system specifications, guide the system design, evaluate system performance and conduct verification testing. This position shares design responsibility with a cross-functional team of software, electrical, mechanical, and manufacturing engineers to insure that product performance meets all design and manufacturability requirements.
POSITION DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Design and productize leading edge, high efficiency RF power equipment for thin films and semiconductor processing: 40kHz to 100MHz frequency range (with future work at higher frequencies), power amplifier topologies (Class A/B, Class C, Class E, Class D, etc.) and passive subassembly designs; filters, combiners, dividers, etc.
- Develops system level specifications and architecture to meet internal and external customer requirements.
- Understand and prevents potential RF, controls and power supply interactions (system integration and mechanical packaging)
- Develops trade-off studies related to cost, complexity, reliability, Design for Excellence (DFx) and project timing.
- Develops Design Verification Testing (DVT) and Specification Compliance testing strategy, facilitates the execution of these plans and analyzes results to ensure products meet design goals
- Understands and facilitates Fault Tree analysis and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FEMA) studies
- Designs fault handling scheme
- Works closely with Manufacturing Engineering to identify DFx opportunities and Test Engineering to develop production system-level test strategy
- Analyze design variability for statistical design margin in manufacturing
- Plans and facilitates system-level design reviews and phase-gate exit reviews
- Creates and executes Engineering Change Orders (ECOs), creation of Bill of Materials (BOMS)
- Demonstrates proficiency in optimizing grounding and shielding for EMI mitigation
- Comfortable with subassembly and system level integration/trouble-shooting
- Other tasks and deities as assigned by management
- POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- MSEE or equivalent and a minimum of 5 years in RF or switch-mode power electronics
- Thorough understanding of semiconductor processes and RF system impacts to such
- Experience using MatLab for data analysis
- Experience with circuit simulation tools (e.g. SPICE, Agilent ADS, Microwave Office, etc.)
- Good writing skills (specifications, test reports, failure reports, engineering analyses, etc.)
- Excellent organizational skills a must
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment with purchasing, manufacturing, engineering department personnel
- OTHER INFORMATION:
- Some domestic & international travel may be required
- Occasional work hour flexibility to accommodate international conferencing and deadlines