VHB is growing! The Charlotte, NC office has a need for a Senior Environmental Engineer or Planner. This is an exciting opportunity to work within a dynamic team, across diverse disciplines, giving you exposure to a wide variety of projects in size and scope. VHB has consistently been rated as one of the top Engineering Firms to work for up and down the East coast, was awarded “Employer of the Year” by WTS in 2018 and has a 100% CEO approval rating on Glassdoor.
VHB’s passionate professionals include Engineers, Scientists, Planners, and Designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments. Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
The successful candidate will have professional experience consulting in the transportation and environmental field, with the preparation of NEPA/SEPA documents for State and Federal agencies and an emphasis on North Carolina Department of Transportation. In addition to participating in high-profile transportation and environmental planning projects and assisting in business development efforts, the Senior Environmental Engineer/Planner will also be responsible for assisting in the management and mentoring of staff.
- Prepare environmental impact statements and assessments, planning and zoning studies, permits, and visual impact analyses.
- Review and prepare National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) documentation
- Assist clients with the administration of NEPA processes
- Conduct environmental planning analyses
- Independently perform research and prepare written technical reports
- Coordinate and communicate with internal and external project team members
- Participate in new business development efforts
- Act as a mentor for junior level staff
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Team oriented with strong capability to motivate others
- Must demonstrate an ability in collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates
- Thorough understanding of technical environmental impact analysis methods
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Experience in delivering expert testimony before municipal boards
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 8 years of environmental planning experience
- Extensive knowledge of NEPA/SEPA, and their compliance regulations
- BS degree in Transportation Engineering or Planning, Environmental Science, Urban Planning, or a related field
- Experience in managing other staff members
We regret to inform you that we do not currently provide sponsorship for employment visas
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally. VHB offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401k match and more