TransCore (TCI), a subsidiary of Roper Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: ROP) is seeking a Senior Fiber Optic Splicer to join our team in Tampa, Florida.
Summary: The primary responsibilities of the Senior Fiber Optic Splicer are fusion splice fiber optic cables in both outdoor and indoor settings; read, create and maintain splicing schematics and diagrams; maintain control of outside plant (OSP) activities surrounding the assigned work site(s); taking and maintaining accurate splicing and field notes; support project timelines; inspecting, designing, and providing accurate records for projects.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties; responsibilities, and requirements may be assigned and/or required.
- Installation, preventive and corrective maintenance of fiber optic cables and network communications equipment
- Completes reports, logs and performs shift-to-shift communications in accordance with established policies, procedures and local practices
- Responds to corrective maintenance requests or alarms within contract required time frame.
- Diagnoses and repairs hardware, software, and system issues
- Reports the technical status of the system with accuracy and completeness
- Restores equipment to operational status as quickly as possible.
- Isolation of faults in units or components
- Field test of units or components to ensure they work correctly before leaving work area.
- Maintenance of spare equipment and parts following company established policies and guidelines
- Mentors/trains less experienced technicians
Education and Qualifications:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
Required Technical Skills & Competencies:
- Must successfully complete required background / drug screening that TransCore initiates as part of the hiring process; additionally, successfully complete a Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and State Law Enforcement Radio System (SLERS) background screen when required by project.
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors in various weather conditions; work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed and required
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record; driving is required for the position.
- Knowledge of and experience with;
- Splicing fiber optic cables including both loose tube and ribbon optic cables
- constructing a proper splice case, including but not limited to, grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage, and sealing.
- Maintaining splicing records, schematics and diagrams.
Desired Technical Skills & Competencies:
- 5 years’ experience of construction with Outside Plant Telecom Engineering and Optical Time-Domain Reflectometer (ODTR) reporting
- Maintenance of Traffic Certification preferred but not required
- Ability to read roadway plans
- Proficiency with Microsoft applications (Office/Visio)