- The Financial Analysts in the Financial Analysis Group assist in providing financial analysis and support for all departments and sites throughout the organization, aiding senior and executive management in their decision-making processes concerning economic, competitive, and cost-benefit analyses.
- Financial analysis includes but is not limited to producing and analysing income statements, cash flows, various financial metrics, and scenarios.
- Financial Analysts assist in preparation of presentation materials for executive management and the Trustees, telling the financial "story” of the organization such that high-level, actionable information is communicated.
- This work supports robust financial and operational decision-making through expert advice and training on financial acumen, modelling, and best practices.
- The Financial Analysts also assist in assessing industry changes and changes in overall business and resulting modifications to financial models and processes.
- Additionally, the Financial Analysts support the analysis of cost and revenue data critical to the recovery of revenue requirements for generating facilities, various market areas, and transmission facilities.
- Such activities help identify and provide support for the development of business solutions that allow to maintain its competitive margin and financial integrity in the ever-evolving electric utility marketplace.
- Design and maintain automated financial tools and systems that ensure quality information and reports are delivered to senior management on a timely basis.
- Identify emerging needs and implement additional reports to present data in a concise and useful fashion.
- Design and implement financial models and modelling changes to quantify the potential impacts of industry changes and changes in overall business, including net income forecasts, cash flow forecasts, and relevant financial metrics.
- Test calculations and ensure accuracy of the models.
- Identify, recommend, and implement opportunities to streamline processes or improve computer model systems.
- Perform cost/benefit and life-cycle economic analyses of various facilities and programs, and any other special assignments/analyses as directed by senior management.
- Interpret results from various analysis and communicate actionable recommendations to senior management, either verbally or in writing, about the preferred way to proceed along with alternative scenarios.
- Represent the Finance department throughout the organization as a trusted business partner, bringing value added financial acumen to cross functional groups and projects.
- Lead junior team members in completion of special assignments and analyses as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient knowledge of economics, finance, and accounting.
- Proficiency with the electric utility industry and NYISO market strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with oil & gas markets, hedging structures and instruments, Public Service Commission and FERC policy and process, and financial and bond markets a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills required, including statistical and quantitative analysis and the use of spreadsheets and databases to analyse past and forecast future financial trends.
- Ability to analyse financial, marketing and operational data and make recommendations based on the analysis.
- Ability to solve problems, work in a team setting on implementations, and meet project deadlines. Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Power Point and other computer applications and file organization procedures is required.
- Demonstrated ability to use Pivot Tables, Tables and Database formulas within MS Excel at advanced level.
- Good working knowledge of MS Access, SAP BI, NYISO DSS, and/or Tableau is preferred.
- MS Visio knowledge is desirable.
- Ability to work closely with others in achievement of group and cross-departmental goals.
- Proactive approach to identify opportunities to improve efficiency of work processes and computer models and systems.
- Willingness and ability to research and learn new areas as the business needs change.
- Ability to organize and prioritize job assignments and complete tasks in a timely manner with limited supervision
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to clearly explain and present concepts in multiple areas of expertise to peers and management.
- Ability to represent department and advocate for departmental needs in cross-departmental meetings.
- Ability to lead and mentor junior staff.
- An overall understanding of operations preferred
- Ability to anticipate problems/issues and share them with others as appropriate.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Business, Economics, Mathematics or related discipline required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Utility experience with an understanding of corporate finance and governmental regulations and requirements preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of related analytical business experience with strong understanding of corporate finance preferred.
Approximately 10% travel primarily to sites within NY State