Our client in Dallas is looking for a Cost Accountant to do the month end inventory and cost accounting close for a major business segment, and revenue and cost accounting month end close for a newly reorganized smaller part of the organization, both within the consolidation of company.
Works in conjunction with the manufacturing areas to ensure accurate job and inventory costing, and is responsible for the integrity of the cost and inventory systems inventory valuation and control, monthly close entries and reconciliations, possible new systems and procedures implementation for a, and some assistance in the administration of the annual operating budget. Provides support for initiatives to reduce manufacturing and inventory costs. Identifies, investigates, and implements change to eliminate, reduce and/or control manufacturing variances
- Analysis and reconciliation of book perpetual inventory levels. Perform reconciliation of the general ledger accounts assigned. Ensure that adjusting journal entries are prepared and posted as needed.
- Review inventory accounts monthly for inconsistencies and potential errors.
- Maintain an accurate and complete inventory valuation, and adequate reserves where applicable.
- Maintain accurate cost standards for materials, and labor, and overhead with updates for projects and manufactured inventory. Update materials standard costs annually.
- Review Cost of Goods Sold accounts for MTD & YTD accuracy including a comparison to prior year, and as a % of Revenue vs prior year.
- Make modifications to, and/or implement new costing process and reporting in newly reorganized business segment with a focus on internal accounting controls and the matching principal.
- Schedule, organize and conduct physical inventories at year end for both business segments. Ensure that proper audit procedures are followed in all aspects of the inventory.
- Analysis and explanation of the monthly gross margin results as required, particularly with respect to reorganized business.
- Review and reconcile other accounts and transactions on a monthly basis as required to ensure the overall accuracy of the areas of responsibility.
Education / Experience:
- BBA with degree in Accounting required
- Large ERP required, Great Plains preferred
- At least 5 years’ worth of experience as the primary cost accountant in a medium to large size manufacturing company