What’s the role? As a Senior Financial and Investment Analyst, you will serve as a high-profile analyst that is a subject matter expert in GAAP and SAP accounting rules, including specifically related to investment assets and pensions. Also serve as a subject matter expert related to NAIC reporting, including annual and quarterly statements and various supplemental filing. You will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing financial and accounting systems to capture transactions and produce financial and management reports. You will work with investment professionals and advisors to achieve corporate investment objective and coordinate the use of third-party reporting systems (e.g. custodians, banks, advisors) to support the performance reporting process. Lastly, you will perform financial benchmarking and analysis, produce management and compliance reports, and assist leadership with accounting research, investment analysis, and projects.
What does it take to make the cut? At least 4 years of experience in positions that require audit, analysis, and reporting of financial results, including specifically investment accounting. This includes analyzing and interpreting financial data to produce accurate reports, demonstrated experience in process improvement, problem-solving, and preparing and reviewing financial statements. Coworkers and friends would say you embrace change and inspire others to do the same. Deadline-driven environments are no stranger, you thrive under pressure, and you have a passion for leading from where you sit.
Why Wellmark? We are a mutual insurance company owned by our policy holders across Iowa and South Dakota, and we’ve built our reputation on over 75 years’ worth of trust. We are not motivated by profits. We are motivated by the well-being of our friends, family, and neighbors–our members. If you’re passionate about joining an organization working hard to put its members first, to provide best-in-class service, and one that is committed to sustainability and innovation, consider applying today!
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or related field
- 4+years experience in positions that require audit, analysis, and reporting of financial results, including specifically investment securities accounting.
- Demonstrated experience preparing, reviewing, or auditing GAAP and Statutory basis financial statements and NAIC investment
- Experience with researching and documenting support for GAAP and Statutory basis accounting conclusions.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, quantitative and analytical skills, includes ability to recognize inconsistencies, analyze for
reasonableness and accuracy, research and make recommendations in a wide variety of changing analytical situations.
- Demonstrated experience in process improvement and managing multiple projects concurrently, ideally related to implementing/
improving systems, processes, and productivity within an accounting/financial related function.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships of collaboration and trust; experience working with and actively
protecting confidential information and data.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines, prioritize workload and achieve effective results in a fast-paced and often ambiguous
environment; effective multi-tasking and prioritization skills are vital.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, expressing complex concepts clearly and concisely with
multiple peer groups, external investment professionals, and senior levels of management.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively on teams, maintaining positive relationships with stakeholders.
- Ability to perform, document and guide others through a series of related steps.
- Strong technical acumen, with demonstrated experience in Microsoft Office applications, including specifically Excel (pivots,
lookups, conditional list), and the ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Ability to lead work teams without direct authority, including coaching and mentoring, and directing and facilitating work activities.
- Professional Certification (CPA or CFA)
- Health Insurance experience
- Public Accounting experience
a. Work with investment professionals, custodians and advisors in management of investment portfolio in assuring compliance with policies and regulations while achieving investment returns better than benchmarks.
b. Review and approve journal entries, reconciliations, and reports in support of internal and external financial statement preparation on both a Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) basis including related to NAIC
c. Prepare and review detailed financial reporting and investment analysis on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
d. Perform and document technical accounting research on a regular basis, for newly issued accounting policies and other situations as necessary. Keep abreast of GAAP, SAP, and NAIC policy updates and statement requirements.
e. Maintain and review documentation specific to support operating effectiveness of internal controls.
f. Participate on teams to implement new financial systems and system upgrades.
g. Communicate effectively with other team members, other internal stakeholders, external investment managers/advisors and external auditors.
h. Coordinate external audit examinations.
i. Other duties as assigned.