Position Purpose & Summary
The Senior Food Scientist will be accountable for coordinated, aligned and successful innovation through exploration, development, and implementation of new and existing products in Cargill Protein Group Protein Ingredients and International Channel. Project work will be aligned with the business strategy and initiated and completed through the business PPM process and sponsored and approved by the business leadership. Customer focused innovation activities will focus on consumer insights, new product and technology development, new process development, customer partnership and technical sales support. Innovation can include the entire process from ideation to commercialization or segments of the process. The purpose of this position is to provide technical expertise and project leadership to: 1) New product development for product line growth, 2) Technology/process development for the creation of new capabilities, 3) Creation, perfection, and defense of new and existing IP, 4) Provides positive mentor and technical assistance to junior team members through coaching.
60% Identify, develop and conduct work on innovation opportunities for Cargill Protein to drive growth through innovation, with a focus on cooked meats value-added products, specifically products processed utilizing thermal screw technology. This will include working with culinary on the development of value-added products for specific customers and utilizing technical expertise in ingredient functionality, meat cuts, and formulation, as well as knowledge of existing Cargill Protein Group equipment, capabilities and product portfolios. The successful candidate will have in depth experience in cooked meat product formulation, application of meat science, and commercializing products.
20% Provide technical leadership in product and process development and improvement, quality systems, and regulatory oversight.
10% Develop and build key customer and industry/vendor relationships to facilitate innovation and to stay abreast of trend and market analysis, and new developments in meat and functional food ingredients.
10% Documentation and IP protection of formulae and processes developed.
- BA/BS degree in meat science/food science or related field
- 4+ years combined professional experience in R&D
- 4+ years combined professional experience with cooked meats, formulation development, cooking expertise with an emphasis in pizza toppings.
- Experience and knowledge in beef, pork, turkey, and chicken meat products.
- Proven ability to turn ideas into commercialized products (successful innovation product launch)
- Demonstrated proficiency in working with ambiguous direction
- Experience working successfully in a matrix organization
- Design of experiments
- Demonstrated financial and business acumen
- This position requires a high level of proficiency using Microsoft Office tools and business reporting systems
- Strong organizational and accuracy skills
- Experience working with cross-functional teams (marketing, insights, sales, ops, FSQR, multiple proteins)
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication and conflict management skills required
- Good decision-making; ability to prioritize goals and work
- Strategic thinker with ability to build effective plans to support strategic initiatives
- Must be tech-savvy and comfortable with evolving business-critical technology
- Travel; up to 25%
- Experience with Thermal Screw Technology
- Advanced degree (MS or PhD) in meat science, food science or related field
- Experience leading teams
- Operations experience
This position is for a Food scientist role in Cargill Protein Ingredients and International Channel. This position will be focused on customer focused innovation in protein with a value added fully cooked meats emphasis. This position will be intimately involved with insight driven customer focused innovation utilizing project management tools.