Join our team in Portland, Oregon or work from your home office in the United States. Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
New Relic is an outstanding place to grow as an engineer. We have a highly collaborative and distributed team of smart, encouraging backend and frontend engineers, a wide product and technical landscape to explore, and an abundance of leadership and technical challenges and opportunities where you can shine. We own our product, from concept to operations. Recent work the team has shipped include: Proactive Detection, Incident Context in Slack, mobile, browser, PagerDuty, and Infrastructure.
We are looking for a passionate senior software engineer to join our AIOps Detection and Analysis product development group. Do you want to help our customers diagnose, analyze and resolve incidents faster? If so then this is the team for you! We are on a mission to change the way digital businesses analyze and understand their production software environment’s uptime, reliability and availability. Our ideal candidate is someone who appreciates Incident Response and can help strengthen the team with their passion for building outstanding software solutions. Someone who is also customer-centric and pragmatic about business value.
What you’ll do
In this role you will:
- Deliver production code through TDD, continuous integration, and modern development processes
- Be on-call for the services we ship (we own them!), so we’re very operationally minded
- Work independently and collaboratively on a small team of engineers collectively accountable for the reliability and security of the team’s software
- Prototype and drive new feature development and partner with internal users and engineering teams at New Relic for market validation
- Research, organize, and plan out feature work for the team
In addition, we are looking for a mix of proficiencies that will help make our team and product even stronger by:
- Being excited about collaborating with Engineers, Product Managers, Designers, and other partners to frame problems within the business and product context
- Taking on team responsibilities, so things don’t “fall through the cracks”
- Pushing the boundaries of what the team can achieve
- Understanding the value of having clear and updated documentation, and having experience maintaining documentation for internal and external customers
- Experience building and maintaining systems in one or more object-oriented programming language
- Collaborative working style that includes colleagues in significant decisions and leads to team code ownership
- Keen eye for quality. Writes unit tests for all their code and considers what type of automated testing is appropriate
- Attention to detail
- Experience mentoring engineers in software best practices
- Front end development experience
- Experience with breaking down product requirements into architecture design and implementation
- Knowledge of modern Typescript and React
- Experience with any of the following: Docker, Kafka, and GraphQL APIs
- Experience having developed and shipped highly reliable, high-throughput backend services
- Experience with Incident Response workflows
Our Office or Your Office
You will be working with engineers and leaders distributed throughout the world, concentrated around our major offices in Portland, San Francisco, Phoenix, Barcelona, and Tel Aviv. You are welcome to work in one of Our U.S. offices, or work from your home office in the U.S. Our global headquarters for research and development is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in the thriving tech community of the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy multi-modal commute access and a plethora of good eats and exceptional coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility, and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is a cloud-based platform that gives developers, engineers, operations, and management a clear view of what’s happening in today’s complex software environments. So they can find and fix problems faster, and deliver delightful experiences for their customers. That's why the world’s best engineering teams rely on New Relic to visualize, analyze, and troubleshoot their software. It’s the simplest, most powerful cloud-based observability platform, built to create more perfect software. All from one place.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company passionate about building an inclusive culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award-winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
New Relic takes seriously our stewardship of the data of our thousands of customers worldwide. In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. https://sfgov.org/olse/sites/default/files/Document/FCO%20Poster%20Set%20All%20Languages%2010%2001%2018.pdf
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.
New Relic is an equal opportunity employer. We eagerly seek a diverse applicant pool and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.