Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, an internationally-recognized, multi-disciplinary architectural and engineering design practice, seeks a senior landscape architecture designer to join its Open Space Design Practice in its award-winning Urban Design & Planning Studio in San Francisco. The Open Space Practice specializes in the landscape design and planning of large-scale, urban revitalization projects overseas, the preparation of master plans for major institutions, business campuses, and new communities, and, the implementation of urban parks, plazas, waterfronts and streetscapes. The candidate will have the opportunity to take the lead on open space and landscape design efforts for the firm’s international and domestic project assignments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports and strengthens SOM’s firm vision, goals and values.
- Solves complex problems in connection with the landscape design of large-scale projects.
- Develops open space concepts incorporating site planning, landscape design, transportation and infrastructure systems.
- Responsible for various portions of master plan and site plan development documents
- Works with Director as primary design interface with clients, consultants, contractors, and others during various stages of project development.
- Manages work within teams and with other disciplines on multiple project assignments and guides and encourages the development of staff.
- Participates proactively in marketing and business development efforts, including the preparation of qualifications, proposals, and scopes of services.
- Master Degree in Landscape Architecture, with undergraduate training in Urban Design, City Planning or Architecture. RLA licensure and /or LEED accreditation is desirable.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible project experience in the landscape design and urban planning profession for projects both internationally and in North America, including 3-5 years of experience in running a design team.
- A strong design ethos consistent with the core principles of SOM’s City Design Practice
- Established track-record of high profile, award-winning landscape design projects.
- Thorough knowledge of landscape, urban design and planning issues, including site planning, zoning, conventional and green infrastructure and utility planning, and sustainable design practices.
- A dynamic, creatively-focused and efficient approach.
- Compelling communication and engaging client liaison skills.
- Excellent people management and strong team leadership with ability to listen and collaborate effectively.
- Ability to adapt to change in a fast-pace, highly creative working environment is essential.
- Proven success in business development with positive results.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Autocad, MS Office, and Adobe CS skills is required. Hand-sketching ability is highly desirable.
- International and domestic travel will be required.
SOM offers opportunities to work on transformational projects, competitive salaries, health insurance, wellness, retirement and financial and other work/life plans.
At SOM, we welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace. We believe an inclusive environment benefits our employees, our firm, and our community, while also enriching and challenging our own thinking about design. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Visit this page to learn more about SOM's employment policy and how to apply offline: www.som.com/employment_opportunities_and_policy
For more about SOM: www.som.com
Portfolios must be submitted for all design positions (Architecture, Interiors, Planning, etc).Applications without work samples will not be reviewed. Portfolios should be one PDF attachment, 10-20 pages, maximum 5 MB. Submit portfolios as part of your application in the section where the application asks you for your Resume or CV.