Senior / Lead Java Back-End Engineer
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Belmont, CA
RingCentral, Inc., a leading provider of Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS), fosters a dynamic, success-driven, and team-oriented environment committed to delivering simple and delightful products for our customers. We are looking for a candidate with an entrepreneurial spark and a passion for redefining how people communicate.
The RingCentral environment is dynamic, success-driven, team-oriented and committed to providing world class service for its customers. Do you have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment? We are looking for candidates with an entrepreneurial spark!
RingCentral is one of the fastest growing SaaS companies in the world, and is hands down the largest and fastest growing company in pure cloud business communication and collaboration space. We are committed to innovation, and we continuously out-innovate the competition. Our award winning products are recognized leaders by Gartner and other prominent analysts. Communication is at the heart of every business, and our products enable people to do the work they want on the channel of their choice whether it’s voice, video, text or chat while eliminating the complexity and unnecessary expense of managing business communications. We are relentlessly focused on user experience.
RingCentral fosters career development and provides leadership training, education, workshops, and coaching for all employees. We promote a healthy work-life balance by providing catered lunch and breakfast on a daily basis as well as a kitchen stocked with a variety of complimentary beverages and delicious snacks.
About this role:
The RingCentral Video Engineering team is based at RingCentral HQ in Belmont, CA. We work closely with local Product and other Engineering teams and remote development centers in Odessa, Ukraine, St. Petersburg, Russia and Xiamen, China. Our team has a voice at the executive level of the organization, reporting directly to the co-founder and CTO.
The Lead/Senior Software Engineer is a hands-on role that will work closely with our PMs to iterate quickly on the features and the APIs, interact with one or more engineering teams to define the architecture, and implement features based on precise understanding of the requirements.
As a technical lead in our global engineering organization, the candidate will be managing talented remote teams, and collaborate with other teams as well.
The successful candidate will have a passion for complex Java backend development, plus some experience on real-time communication.
As an Lead/Senior Java Backend Engineer at RingCentral, you will:
- Lead in the development of video conferencing backend
- Contribute to product and system architecture design
- Perform hardware optimization and load testing
- Engage in the design, development and support of servers written in Scala
- Write effective and thread-safe application code that runs under heavy load
- Develop a system so that the failure of multiple servers does not affect the availability of the service
- Participate in code-review; help colleagues with product development
- Write functional and modular auto testsWork on integration of the other RingCentral Systems
- MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in Commercial Software Development in Java (Core Java, JDBC)
- 1+ years of experience in Scala development
- REST frameworks such as Jersey or Spring REST Services
- JSON (Jackson)
- Experience in multi-threaded applications using Future or other IO implementations
- Knowledge of patterns of creation of fault-tolerant systems and the ability to put them into practice
- Understanding of the principles of operation and limitations of distributed systems
- Ability to write clean code and perform constant refactoring
- Understanding of network performance and network protocols
- Knowledge of classical algorithms and data structures
- Knowledge of Linux
- Strong Programming and algorithmic skills
- Ability to excel in a team-oriented, collaborative, and fast-paced environment
- Self-motivated individual capable of working in a face-pace, dynamic environment
- Passion for creating best in class products
- Experience with messaging middleware
- Knowledge of functional programming concepts
- Experience with MongoDB, Kafka
- Experience with WebRTC, RTP, signaling protocols (SIP, XMPP)
RingCentral, Inc. (NYSE: RNG) is a global provider of cloud unified communications and collaboration solutions. More flexible and cost-effective than legacy on-premise systems, RingCentral empowers today’s mobile and distributed workforces to be connected anywhere and on any device through voice, video, team messaging, collaboration, SMS, conferencing, online meetings, contact center, and fax. RingCentral provides an open platform that integrates with today’s leading business apps while giving customers the flexibility to customize their own workflows. RingCentral is a leader in the 2016 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Unified Communications as a Service Worldwide for the second consecutive year. RingCentral is headquartered in Belmont, Calif.
RingCentral is an EEO/AA employer.