Sargent & Lundy is one of the oldest and most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services—from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance—with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Our Core Values
We are a company of principled professionals guided by core values that have fundamentally shaped our business practices and culture. They provide us with guidance in the day-to-day performance of our work, and adherence to these values is our compass in all business conduct:
- Exercise uncompromising integrity and ethics in the conduct of all business
- Focus on client satisfaction in all activities
- Maintain a highly competent and satisfied staff
- Communicate openly and honestly
- Improve continuously
Energy & Industrial Group
Sargent & Lundy’s clients in the energy and industrial markets recognize us as a global leader in coal and gas power generation, plant design, advanced technologies, environmental compliance, mid-stream and downstream oil & gas and multi-disciplined industrial projects.
We provide comprehensive engineering, design, analysis, and consulting for energy and industrial markets worldwide. Sargent & Lundy’s professional and highly experienced staff has the ability and know-how to take on the smallest of tasks to scope-intensive, complex projects. If you are interested in this type of dynamic work, consider joining the Sargent & Lundy team.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Leading environmental technology evaluation and design efforts for an interdisciplinary team of engineers.
- Perform and review comprehensive reports assessing proposed environmental control technology upgrades, modifications, and equipment/system replacements.
- Work on challenging assignments that include investigating, troubleshooting, and solving a wide variety of air quality control technology and engineering issues, and implement complex environmental compliance and permitting projects.
- Required to independently verify the design of vendor-supplied equipment, perform independent reviews of work prepared by others (including calculations and engineering studies), and act as the environmental team lead in the coordination for all aspects of project work.
- Coordinate and provide guidance to project managers, client personnel, suppliers, and other engineers to confirm proposed technologies meet design specifications and achieve environmental compliance standards, and to ensure project work is completed on schedule.
- Analyze technical issues, prepare accompanying system specification data, and present your findings and proposals to clients and peers.
- You will have the opportunity to travel to client and vendor offices for design reviews, travel to plant site locations for field verification of designs, and attend/present at technical conferences.
- You will have the opportunity to develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of S&L’s systems of processes and associated “Communities of Practice.”
- Provide guidance as a mentor in the development of less experienced engineers.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- This position requires a BSChE or related engineering discipline from an ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission-approved program.
- An understanding of the practical application of chemical/process engineering and technology, including applying systems, principles, techniques, and procedures to a project design.
- Familiarity with the design and operation of large industrial and electric power environmental control systems such as carbon capture systems, flue gas desulfurization systems, fabric filters, electrostatic precipitators, low-NOx combustion, and/or selective and non-catalytic NOx reduction systems.
- Six or more years of experience in the design and specification of environmental or process controls systems for large industrial plants (e.g., electric power generation, oil & gas, or chemical processing). Experience must include the selection of equipment, control philosophy, and the preparation of performance sizing calculations and specifications.
- Three or more years of experience directing younger engineers through all phases of a project.
- Experience with serving as firm/client liaison in a support or lead engineering role.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Professional Engineer License.
- Experience utilizing ASPEN or similar process modeling software.
- Familiarity with major federal environmental regulatory programs such as the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act.
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.