The University of Southern California USC Libraries Integrated Document Delivery (IDD) department seeks a detailed-oriented professional to join its team as a Senior Library Assistant. The Senior Library Assistant will primarily be responsible for the day-to-day operations of inter-library loan borrowing and other duties as assigned. This position performs and coordinates specialized library functions including but not limited to technical processing, database maintenance, and library circulation. Provides reference and customer service to patrons, including students, faculty, vendors and other users. Conduct inventories, arranges materials and details collections within established guidelines and/or under supervision. Monitor the library’s shelves and physical organization for neatness and necessary shifting and generate statistical reports. In addition, this position supervises student workers and assists in hiring and training, as needed.
This position is a fixed-term position.
- Provides customer service to patrons, including students, faculty, vendors and other internal and external primary users. Answers directional and basic reference questions, comprehensively explains library policies and procedures, resolves problems and assists in the acquisition of library materials. Suggests and/or assists in recovering missing materials after liaising with primary users. Files claims for late, lost, or missing items, and corrects and resolves issues and conflicts in library records
- Coordinates ordering, receiving, processing, cataloging, maintaining and/or distributing various materials. Invoices, problem solves, creates, and maintains complex records, and provides support in acquisitions, bibliographic control, collection preparation, and information services. Ensures that materials are acquired through proper protocols, and assists and collaborates with other teams regarding other cataloging, collections and/or acquisition issues
- Supervises student workers and leads in recruitment, screening, hiring and training, as needed. Schedules, assigns and prioritizes workloads daily, ensuring timely completion of unit assignments. Monitors and evaluates performance, providing feedback, counseling, retraining, and setting standards and goals for improvement. Maintains payroll for student workers, auditing and submitting
- Conducts inventories, arranges materials and details unorganized collections within established guidelines and/or under supervision. Performs intricate searches through online and physical files for unusual and specialized materials, and resolves any complex problems found. Consults with proper authorities to make recommendations and when best resolutions may lead to necessary changes to policies and/or procedures. Monitors the library’s shelves and physical organization for neatness and necessary shifting. Maintains and supervises the flow of loading and shelving of new or existing materials, and makes note of problem sections. Prepares items for binding
- Collects and compiles statistics including patron counts and activity in circulation, collections and acquisitions. Prepares reports regularly and as needed. Identifies materials to be moved to storage based on shelf space and usage data
- Oversees quality control of integrated library system and external sources, maintaining the bibliographic database, and auditing and correcting entries. Maintains and updates department manuals, assists in establishing and implementing new or revised library policies and procedures, and ensures compliance
- Monitors supplies and equipment, ensuring they are adequately stocked, compiling source and price recommendations of needs, and scheduling and supervising preventative maintenance. Oversees effective placement and cleaning of library furniture, such as chairs, carrels, tables, etc. Assists with exhibits, designing, selecting and installing displays.
- Attends staff meetings and participates in committees and task forces, as assigned.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Thorough knowledge of general library operations. Understanding of library databases and Library of Congress standards. Working knowledge of standard bibliographic and other reference tools. General knowledge of department and library activities, policies, and procedures. Ability to work under pressure at a variety of tasks. Aptitude for detail and accuracy. Understanding of cataloging rules and procedures. Ability to train and supervise student assistants.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser:https://wd5.myworkday.com/usc/d/inst/1$9925/9925$43480.htmld