Los Angeles Area
Senior Manager, Field Human Resources
Company & Culture: El Pollo Loco, Inc.
For over 35 years El Pollo Loco continues to dominate the market in delivering the best citrus-marinated fire-grilled chicken. It's our unique preparation of award-winning "pollo" and use of fresh, authentic ingredients that creates a deliciously, mouthwatering "crazy you can taste" experience. From our products to our people, we're truly amazing!
We opened our first restaurant in 1980 in Los Angeles, and today we are over 450 restaurants strong and still growing! So, if you crave growth, fun and success, then we have an excellent opportunity for you. It's all at your fingertips! Join our team and engage in cross functional activities where you will find challenge and inspiration in our fast paced, hands-on organization.
Requirements (our ideal candidates will possess):
- Experience: Minimum of 7 years Human Resource Generalist experience in a multi-state, multi-site role required, preferably in the restaurant/retail/hotel industry. Must possess a track record exhibiting growth within the HR discipline, including employee relations, recruitment, performance management and administration. Solid knowledge of compliance, state/federal laws and other regulations relevant to the business environment needed. Selected individual will have a track record of success in leading, managing, coaching and developing others. The ideal candidate will reside in the division (South LA, N. OC, etc.).
- Education: BA/BS degree required, preferably in Human Resources Management.
- Computer Software Skills: Strong proficiency with Microsoft suite with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) required. Familiarity with common Applicant Tracking Systems required.
- Language: Bilingual English/Spanish is highly desired.
- Licensing: HR certification required and a valid driver's license.
- Travel: The position seldom requires frequent travel by car, and may require travel by plane. Travels continuously within the assigned area (minimum 3 days a week) with one day in the Support Center.
The Senior Manager, Field HR serves as a strategic business partner to Field Operations and achieves strong results in employee relations, employee development and culture, and talent acquisition. Partners with the broader HR team and Field Operations to lead HR initiatives and consult on employee relations, policy and procedure compliance, performance management and culture. The Senior Manager, Field HR collaborates with their area of Operations to ensure effective recruitment and engagement to help attract and retain top talent within the organization both internally and externally. The Senior Manager, Field HR is the team lead and will mentor other HR Managers on the team, including being available to assist as needed. May participate in interviewing, hiring and on-boarding new HR Managers. May be assigned special projects, asked to work with other departments or asked to represent Field HR as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As an integral part of the Field HR team and the divisional leadership team, this role provides value-add people/organizational/HR consulting and subject matter expertise. Builds and maintains high-quality influential relationships with General Managers, Area Leaders, and Directors of Operations through frequent, effective communication and regular ride-alongs.
Possesses strong business acumen, with an understanding of organizational reporting and key performance indicators. Utilizing foundational business acumen and HR expertise, analyzes situations and effectively makes timely recommendations to alleviate risk and positively impact the business and employees.
Performs regular people and/or performance reviews with Area Leaders, Operations Directors, and Sr. Operations Directors. Participates in quarterly HR/DO Meetings, presenting HR information, metrics and reports. Reviews and analyzes data to identify trends and recommend solutions to improve performance, retention, and employee experience.
Serves as an ambassador of the broader Human Resources team, builds rapport and trusted relationship with all levels of employees.Brings meaningful insights and recommendations back to the broader Human Resources team for process improvement. Drives and executes HR initiatives in assigned division. Interacts professionally and ethically, constructively participating as a collaborative team member in pursuit of common goals. Maintains high integrity as a representative of the HR team.
Travels continuously within the assigned area (minimum 3 days a week) with one day in the Support Center.
Identifies and/or conducts timely and thorough investigations into employee concerns; provides appropriate recommendations for actions as a result of the investigation when applicable. Comprehensively documents and maintains records for all related complaints and claims of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, unfair treatment, etc. Ensures disciplinary action is consistent and appropriate for performance and behavior concerns across all restaurants. May provide templates for documentation to HR Managers.
Conducts timely restaurant audits with a balanced approach of conducting an equal number in the first and second half of the year, ensuring thorough feedback to General Manager and Area Leaders. Derives key themes and findings from audit process and develops appropriate action plans with Field Operations. Re-audits conducted as needed.
Participates in unemployment hearings, depositions, wage claims, DOL audits, etc. and assists Legal in facilitating and/or investigating lawsuits and agency charges (e.g., DFEH, EEOC, DOL). Responds in a timely manner to Legal requests as needed.May be asked to act as Person Most Knowledgeable in depositions as needed.
Solves routine and complex Human Resource challenges in the Field. Takes initiative to modify or make recommendations to improve company procedures and processes as appropriate (including AMP book).
Employee Development and Culture
Partners with Operations Directors and Area Leaders on field people development decisions to evaluate internal candidates and identify high potential team members, and participates in talent assessments and discussion like the Quarterly Review Boards. Assists Operations with talent management and leadership development initiatives, performance management, listening sessions, and core HR processes (i.e., hiring, transfers and terminations).
Provides management coaching to build leadership capabilities to address and resolve employee issues, acting as a role-model in Heart Centered Leadership and professional behavior. Serves as a steward of our Company culture.
Monitors employee engagement levels and tracks key employee trends in the field. Proactively communicates findings to Director, Field HR and Chief People Officer.
Creates training and tools and effectively trains new managers on Human Resources Policies and Procedures. Participates in the development, facilitation and/or presentation of ad hoc training for field leadership in small group settings, seminar formats or at divisional/conference meetings.Collaborates and leads training sessions in conjunction with the Training Department, including formal MIT/GMIT training.
Conducts exit interviews, analyzes and identify trends which impact retention and offer solutions that will lead to improved employee satisfaction and lower turnover.
Collaborates with Area Leaders, Operations Directors and Talent Acquisition to review staffing needs and maintain a consistent pulse on restaurant staffing levels. Ensures all hiring decision makers abide by the Company hiring objectives, company policies, and the applicable laws. Actively participates in best recruitment practices for attracting, interviewing, hiring and on-boarding field managers. Interviews potential field leadership candidates as needed during the selection process.
The Senior Manager, Field HR oversees others (guides tasks, sets schedules, trains others and may provide input concerning performance). S/he will assist HR Managers to ensure they continue to learn.
We offer EPL Support Center Employees the following Benefits/Perks:
- Health Insurance: Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD Life & Disability
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- 401K with Matching
- Meal Discounts
- Work Hours: Full-Time schedule
- Work Attire: Primarily business casual, but we wear jeans on Fridays!
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The HR Manager position regularly hears, talks, uses close vision to view objects, uses hands repetitively to reach/handle/feel/grasp objects, and travels by car and/or plane. The position occasionally stands, sits, walks, uses distant vision to view objects, and lifts/pushes up to 10 lbs. The HR Manager position seldom climbs/balances, stoops/kneels/crouches/crawls, tastes/smells, and lifts/pulls up to 20 lbs.
- Posting valid thru: Dec 31, 2019
El Pollo Loco is an equal opportunity employer in compliance with all applicable state and federal laws. We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.