senior manager, Research and Development – Seattle, WA190007705Starbucks
Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by identifying, planning and completing multiple, broad, complex project assignments related to the initiation and development of food and beverage or equipment products that support the successful execution of company initiatives. Manages all activities and phases of project progression. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
Planning and Execution - Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
- Develops and manages budgets and forecasts for projects and programs.
- Plans and manages business unit and department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
- Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization.
Business Requirements - Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
- Assesses project requests and assignments to technical project managers. Identifies project resource requirements. Prepares project plans and briefs for approval, prioritization and allocation of technical and financial resources. Identifies key technical hurdles and deliverables to ensure success.
- Develops service level agreements with key customer groups.
- Identifies new product opportunities and technologies for presentation to senior management.
- Leads projects and project teams. Prepares project plans and ensures that projects meet specified timelines. Manages project costs and execution. Transitions projects to downstream Research & Development teams.
- Manages the project information flow and updates cross-functional teams and management. Acts as department liaison to key customer groups.
- Organizes and directs work activities of technical individual contributors. Develops work plans and cross-functional responsibilities. Establishes key technical performance indicators and measures to ensure progress to agreed-upon deliverables and implementation consistent with project timelines. Develops best practices methods and incorporates into development processes.
Partner Development & Team Building - Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
- Builds career development paths and succession plan.
- Challenges and inspires partners to achieve business results.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Develops teams and partnerships aligned with Starbucks guiding principles.
- Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partner, business and customer results.
Summary of Experience
- Food, beverage or engineering product development (10 years)
- Project Management (10 years)
- Management, including building and leading cross-functional teams (5 years)
- Managing Budgets (5 years)
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to work with cross-functional teams
Project management skills, including measurement, reporting and financial analysis
- Basic skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Project
- Knowledge of food ingredient functionality
- Knowledge of food microbiology
- Knowledge of marketing principles and concepts
- Knowledge of sensory, experimental design, statistics and consumer research methodology
- Knowledge of technical engineering design, development, certifications and standards
- Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Organizational and effective presentation skills
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org