Hayward Industries, Inc. is the largest manufacturer of residential swimming pool equipment in the world. Headquartered in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Hayward designs and markets the Totally Hayward® System, a complete line of state-of-the-art, energy efficient residential pool equipment including pumps, filters, heaters, heat pumps, cleaners, electronic control systems, electronic chlorinators, lighting, safety equipment, Hayward Flow Control products, industrial flow control valves and components, and white goods such as skimmers, main drains and other thermoplastic pool construction fittings. Research and development are at the forefront of Hayward's short and long-term goals, while introducing industry-changing, energy-efficient products.
Working at Hayward
Provides design efforts from inception through production, directs, coordinates, and exercises functional authority for the planning, organization, and completion of heat pump pool heater products. These design efforts are coordinated both in new product design and existing product re-design.
- Responsible for new product development and modifications to existing products (both manufactured by Hayward as well as sourced branded products). Directs CAD Designers in the preparation of detailed design drawings. Troubleshoots vendor and production problems regarding conformance to product designs and specifications.
- Analyzes and designs heat pump products with respect to refrigerant flow and phase change, heat transfer, COP, rating, effects of ambient temperature and humidity. Specifies refrigeration components such as condensers, evaporators, compressors, fans, receivers, thermal expansion valves, thermostats, etc.
- Reviews vendor drawings, specification control drawings, and other applicable specifications to determine requirements and/or feasibility of the components.
- Interacts with production personnel to define and solve manufacturing/design issues and implement cost reduction ideas with regard to our products.
- Manages product development teams in collaboration with Project Managers by assigning projects to CAD Designers, Lab Technicians, and "junior" level engineers, resolves project issues, and reviews completed projects with the Engineering Manager.
- Works with Quality Department to define problem areas and implement product improvements based on customer repair/rejection concerns. Also reviews and dispositions quality inspection reports.
- Participates in engineering and general design review meetings, reviews meeting notations and makes necessary changes.
- Prepares technical data such as qualification test procedures, DFMEA’s, acceptance with procedures, reports, installation and operation manuals, etc.
- Prepares presentations on projects and presents project status and challenges to all levels of management.
- Works with certifying bodies to obtain and/or maintain agency certification(s) on products.
- Coordinates as required with internal groups including Product Management, Supply Chain, Quality Assurance, Production, Accounting and Operations.
- Adheres to all safety policies and procedures within OSHA guidelines.
Solid understanding of refrigerants, refrigeration systems, heat pumps, heat transfer, and AHRI product certification. In addition, the individual must have heat pump design experience and strong background in heat transfer analysis. Materials knowledge in sheet metal, metal castings, and coatings. Ability to apply principles of logic or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering discipline from a four-year college or university
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the design of products utilizing refrigeration systems.
- Demonstrated proficiency in heat transfer and thermodynamics.
- Demonstrated experience in product development processes.
Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes, AS/400, SolidWorks, Finite Element Analysis, and Computational Fluid Dynamics.
The ideal candidate for this position would be an engineer currently or previously employed by an HVAC equipment manufacturer who has product design experience in residential or commercial (preferred) refrigeration products such as air conditioners, heat pumps, chillers, or geothermal systems. The ideal candidate would be very innovative, experienced in systems engineering, be a good project manager, and have experience in the development of algorithms for smart system control and diagnostics for refrigeration equipment.