Overview / Responsibilities
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking a Senior Mechanical (Facilities Design) Engineer to join our dynamic and growing team in Orlando, FL.
The position requires experience providing professional & technical direction on building/facilities engineering and construction and leading a team of professional engineers and designers. Our ideal candidate will specialize in full life-cycle design/engineering of multiple, multi-discipline projects from the time of assignment to commissioning, close-out, and turnover to client.
Other relevant experience includes asset lifecycle planning, facility standards, maintenance & repairs, capital projects and building assessments to identify defects and their repair needs and/or advise on ways of improving and maintaining buildings. Experience with feasibility studies, supporting construction projects, design co-ordination, estimating, tendering works, budget control and construction monitoring is required.
Types of buildings worked with include, but are not limited to: offices, industrial units, schools, colleges, hotels, pharmaceutical facilities, product assembly facilities, laboratories, and manufacturing centers.
Must possess knowledge of construction processes, engineering and design application and building/infrastructure component assembly. The ideal candidate would also have process knowledge of industrial facilities equipment and application of design requirements to meet required outcomes of the client.
Equipment and system knowledge would include:
- Compressed air systems and distribution
- Steam systems and distribution
- Chilled and process cooling water systems and distribution
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems
- Industrial gases and distribution, industrial ventilation and process piping
- Controls and SCADA knowledge a plus
- Work on technical assignments (both field and office) and support all facets of mechanical design
- Field assignments are local and national depending on technical capabilities and desire to travel - Overnight travel is estimated to be about 15%
- Responsible for resource allocation and the timely delivery of the project technical deliverables
- Responsible for ensuring quality of deliverables
- Strong commitment to company’s safety program; follow company safety standards, site safety standards and maintain safe workplace practices
- Interaction and coordination with all engineering disciplines to deliver comprehensive design, engineering and specification packages
Skills / Qualifications
- B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering
- 15-25 years of related experience
- Professional engineering (PE – Mechanical) license in any US State or Territory is a requirement; State of Florida engineering licensure is preferred
- Valid driver's license
- Flexibility to work and travel outside normal business hours as required
- Experience with building simulation modeling (preferably using Trane Trace)
- Background in design of HVAC systems and knowledge of HVAC systems to include but not limited to HVAC load calculations, equipment sizing and creation of construction drawings
- Ability to apply load calculations, energy use simulations, and life cycle cost analyses programs for various system applications including heating and cooling, and mechanical ventilation
- Understanding of controls to support writing sequences of operation
- Strong understanding of building, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and NFPA codes, and ASHRAE standards
- Design background and experience leading a team of design engineers
- Desire for continuous learning and ability to learn quickly on the job
- Must be computer proficient with working knowledge of MS Excel and Word (AutoCAD proficiency preferred not required)
- Must pass drug test, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the company’s driving (MVR) policy
- High receptivity to mentoring, learning and sharing of work knowledge for the benefit of the team
- Adaptable to varying assignments as the design team grows and client base increases both in location and job responsibilities
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of professionals and trade disciplines
- State of Florida engineering licensure
- Training in OSHA 1926 as it applies to facilities design and construction preferred
- Experience implementing a quality process highly preferred
- Experience with risk assessments and field construction safety a plus
- Experience with conceptual and detailed cost estimating within engineering discipline, experience estimating with other disciplines a plus
- Existing local vendor relationships is desirable but not required
- Must have the ability to stoop, sit, stand, or be on their feet for extended periods of time and be able to handle standard field-testing equipment
- Must have the ability to work in varying environments (office and field settings)
- Willing to travel as needed
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.