Are you interested in contributing to the design and assessment of weapons critical to our national defense?
Are you interested in taking on challenging technical work that helps to keep our homeland and our warfighters safe?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a senior missile systems engineer to help us define and assess current and future defensive weapon designs against a wide variety of modern and projected threats. You will join a team of dedicated subject matter experts to analyze, evaluate and model RF and IR-guided missiles, seekers, signal/image processing algorithms, guidance, and the relevant operating environments. These weapon systems span several mission areas including air defense, ballistic missile defense, and hypersonic missile defense.
As a senior missile system engineer, your primary responsibility will be to evaluate weapon system effectiveness using an assortment of medium and high-fidelity models and advanced tools.
- You will develop, test, and evaluate algorithms and models relevant to assorted guided missile functionalities. Relevant areas include IR/RF seeker operations with special emphasis on Electronic Protection, RF environmental models, IR scene rendering and counter-measures, ship-missile communications link content, handover process, etc.
- You will evaluate existing designs and identify performance shortfalls.
- You will propose or analyze candidate software and hardware upgrades to address shortfalls or new threats.
- You will determine limiting factors to system performance and propose and analyze potential improvements. Assess and propose architectural enhancements that allow more robust implementation across an array of fire control systems.
- You will participate in collection, reduction and analysis of data created during live fire tests and Hardware-in-the Loop experiments. Analysis of data is geared toward validating design assumptions, assessing the sufficiency of current designs as well as adding to the data base of environmental data.
- You will summarize study results in presentations to sponsors and industry and provide written documentation of work.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Bachelors degree in aerospace, mechanical, or electrical engineering, physics, or mathematics.
- Have 3-5 years of professional experience in executing analysis, design trades, and studies of complex defense systems.
- Familiarity with MATLAB, Python, FORTRAN, C/C++, and the LINUX OS.
- Familiarity with medium and high fidelity interceptor modeling and simulations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to interact with sponsors.
- Are able to obtain an interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a Masters degree or higher in aerospace, mechanical, or electrical engineering, physics, or mathematics
- Have 5 or more years of professional experience in guided missile system design and evaluation.
- Strong programming language skills in FORTRAN, C, and C++ in the LINUX OS.
- Strong analytical background using detailed high-fidelity STANDARD Missile 6-DOF simulations.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance with the ability to obtain a Top Secret level clearance.
- Have SCI and SAP access.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.