Senior Network Engineer
US Citizenship required
Secret or Top Secret Clearance highly preferred
*Due to contractual and security reasons, this position requires US Citizenship*
We are seeking a results-oriented, self-motivated, network engineer who will be responsible for deploying, securing and maintaining voice, video, and data networks. This individual will provide tier-3 operations support for a large government enterprise. The position requires hands-on technical expertise supporting Unified Communications (UC) and Voice over IP (VoIP) telephony services. This individual will deploy and maintain VoIP and Video over IP technologies on a Cisco-powered network.
Working as a member of a larger network and telecommunications team, this position is responsible for the daily operation of unified voice/video/data services provided across campus and wide area networks, and must ensure each change to the network environment is clearly documented, to include creating and updating all related engineering documents, topology or flow drawings, dial-plans, call routing policies, etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- This position is part of a team responsible for deploying thousands of new Cisco VoIP phones and providing on-going VoIP, Video and Collaboration support to existing customers.
- Must have hands-on technical experience installing, administering and operating Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM). Experience with CUCM version 10.x or later is essential.
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills supporting end-users, coordinating with Cisco TAC and telecommunication carriers tier-2/3 support groups, tracking and escalating trouble tickets, and interfacing with customers at all levels.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years recent professional experience in enterprise-class operations environments specific to supporting voice service delivery.
- Past experience as a sys-admin providing technical support for non-Cisco voice systems is a plus, as this position is instrumental in coordinating with customer contacts in migrating voice services to the consolidated enterprise infrastructure solutions.
- This position is responsible for maintaining an on premise CUCM infrastructure, in addition to migrating a majority of the VoIP endpoints to register with the Cisco Hosted Collaboration Solution for Government (HCS-G) managed service.
- This position reports to the enterprise network architect and will be called upon to work as part of a small team leading the enterprise forward with the integration of the latest collaboration technologies, interconnecting Cisco Video & VoIP systems with third-party systems.
- Recent experience troubleshooting voice and video problems in an enterprise or service provider environment under short time constraints involving complex networks spanning multiple firewalls and different geographic locations is a big plus. The customer environment includes 10,000 users in the Washington, D.C. metro area, plus thousands of additional users distributed nationwide at field sites.
- This position configures and troubleshoots SIP and ISDN trunks for VoIP and Video components in heterogeneous environments involving legacy PBX systems and access to the commercial PSTN.
- Configure Cisco routers to act as CUBE session border controllers, VoIP gateways, and be fluent in using debug mode on Cisco routers to analyze call processing during troubleshooting activities.
Other Job Functions:
- Must be able to obtain a U.S. government security clearance. This position requires working within government facilities where a DOE Q / Top Secret clearance is required to maintain employment.
- The most successful candidate for this position enjoys challenges and looks forward to coming into the office each day to work with the leading team in the organization that solves communications puzzles.
- As a senior member of the network operations team, the ideal candidate will be viewed as a mentor for the junior technical members of the team.
- Develop documentation and standard operating procedures for the network operations Tier-1 & 2 staff to support voice and video services. Create topology diagrams and associated documentation for each site network and connected VoIP and Video endpoints. Provide input to CONOPS, security plans, and project management documents. Submit change control proposals. Produce user guides and quick reference handouts that can be distributed to end-users.
- In addition to this position’s primary focus supporting Voice and Video service delivery, the individual will be called upon occasionally as a backup to the data network support staff.
- Must be flexible and able to work nights, weekends and holidays as needed to support planned and unplanned network maintenance and troubleshooting events. This position is expected to be available on-call 24x7. Upon hire, the engineer will be issued an Android phone or iPhone, laptop and VPN access to allow rapid response to network events whenever the network operations center escalates a problem requiring Tier-3 support. Ability to travel as needed, primarily within the local metro area. Short trips to customer sites within CONUS may be required a few times per year.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate self-initiative and be able to operate without supervision. Must have strong time management, multi-tasking, organization and administrative skills and must be highly proficient with Visio, Project, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- As part of the selection process, the candidate must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, with fluency in English equivalent to a native speaker.
- Past employment supporting the U.S. Federal government and/or military experience is a big plus!
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Cisco certifications (e.g. CCNP or CCIE) -or- equivalent work experience is required
- CUCM, Cisco Call Manager, Expressway, VoIP, Cisco IOS, Tandberg, Polycom, Video Conferencing
- Work Environment and Physical Demands
- The successful candidate will work in office spaces and IT data centers (raised-floor environment) and be able to lift up to 50 pounds. Dress code is business casual.