Division/Section: Disaster Recovery
Workdays & Hours: *Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
*Subject to change
The City of Houston Legal Department strives to provide the highest quality municipal legal services to the City, its elected and appointed officials, and its employees in the most efficient manner feasible through adherence to the following guiding principles:
• Quality & Service – Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients
• Partnership & Teamwork – Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City's goals
• Integrity & Candor – Acting with a commitment to honesty and ethical behavior
• Dignity & Diversity – Demonstrating esteem for the worth of each individual
• Innovation & Imagination – Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City's objectives
Composed of approximately over 90 of Houston's finest attorneys working in 10 sections, the Legal Department handles personal injury, commercial and civil rights litigation, major commercial and real estate transactions, disaster recovery, a diverse array of human resources, labor, and employment matters, while also counseling the municipal corporation on economic development, taxation, constitutional, election matters, ethics, and quality of life matters, as well as the preparation of related City ordinances, affecting Houston and its citizens. Every employee is committed to the Department's motto – "Service Through Law."
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston Legal Department seeks a skilled, energetic, team-oriented Paralegal who is self-motivated and can work independently on various transactional assignments with the attorneys in the Disaster Recovery Section ("DRS") of the Legal Department.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Processing inquiries from Housing and Community Development Department ("HCDD") related real property, affordable housing, and construction matters.
- Actively engaging with attorneys to assist in the drafting, reviewing, and processing of various real estate documents including deeds, forgivable loan agreements, promissory notes, and other real estate conveyance documents.
- Assisting attorneys in drafting various documents such as contracts, ordinances, resolutions, and routine correspondence, including formatting, reviewing, and verifying documents for accuracy.
- Reviewing various databases to ensure the proper execution of documents.
- Regularly communicating with various client departments to provide status updates and request additional information.
- Performing legal research related to disaster recovery and housing matters.
- Maintaining attorney calendars and schedules.
- Facilitating the processing of documents to obtain various signatures.
- Performing title review and drafting related documents.
- Opening and closing files.
- Working in Word, Outlook, Excel, and other software programs.
This position and the DRS are grant funded positions dependent on the availability of federal grant dollars. In addition, the tenure of the section and position shall track the duration of the need for disaster recovery activities. Currently, the City projects that services will be needed for at least 5 years.