Senior Paralegal - DRS Section - MUST HAVE PARALEGAL CERTIFICATE
Senior Paralegal – Housing Section
Working with CACI to assist the mission of the US Department of Justice, Disabilities Rights Section (DRS).
Duties and Responsibilities
Act as the primary point of contact to receive, track, respond to, and document complaint calls and emails regarding Disabilities Rights context. Pleasant phone manner and the ability to interview potentially aggrieved persons about traumatic experiences in a professional, thorough, and sensitive manner is critical. An ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people is essential. Candidate must be able to conduct witness interviews, prepare clear written interview summaries, and complete related data entry with minimal supervision. Position may require some travel to conduct in-person witness interviews. Candidate must be able to perform detailed searches of court records and other public records utilizing online databases and services such as LexisNexis. Familiarity with methods for researching people, property ownership, and/or business entities is preferable. Spanish language skills preferable but not required.
- Works under the direction of Supervisory Paralegal or Project Supervisor.
- Following established guidelines, gathers, prepares, and summarizes relevant materials for use by attorneys in preparation of opinions, briefs and other legal documents.
- Summarizes depositions and other transcripts; maintains case files.
- Performs simple legal research; indexes, tracks and controls exhibits and other materials at depositions and at trial.
- Assists attorneys in courtroom if needed; prepares exhibit cross-references.
- Screens documents for relevance and privilege according to established guidelines and criteria.
- Performs initial compilation of documents for production requests, subject to review by superiors and trial staff.
- Researches complaints.
- Assists trial attorneys with vetting expert consultants, scheduling court reporters, cite checking, preparing trial exhibits, preparing briefing and witness materials.
- Assists with document coding and reviewing production of records and case related discovery.
- Assists trial attorneys in court proceedings.
- Requires paralegal certificate.
- An equivalent level of legal training may be substituted with the approval of the COTR.
- At least one year of litigation paralegal experience required; trial experience very helpful.
- Automated litigation support experience very helpful.
- Must have basic legal knowledge, including knowledge of standard legal citation system sufficient to perform basic legal research.
- Requires excellent written and oral communication skills, thorough knowledge of legal research tools such as LEXIS and WestLaw.
- Should have hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, database, spreadsheet, imaging and telecommunications.
- Ability to consistently deliver highest quality work under extreme pressure will be very important.
- Spanish language skills preferable but not required.
What We Can Offer You:
- We’ve been named a Best Place to Work by the Washington Post.
- Our employees value the flexibility at CACI that allows them to balance quality work and their personal lives.
- We offer competitive benefits and learning and development opportunities.
- We are mission-oriented and ever vigilant in aligning our solutions with the nation’s highest priorities.
- For over 55 years, the principles of CACI’s unique, character-based culture have been the driving force behind our success.