Commonwealth Financial Network® is the largest privately held Registered Investment Adviser–independent broker/dealer in the U.S., with offices in Waltham, Massachusetts, and San Diego, California. Since 1979, we’ve been helping our field force of independent financial professionals help investors pursue their financial goals. We do that by providing them with the technology, research, resources, and support that allow them to keep their focus on what’s most important: investors and their financial objectives.
With that said, we are not your typical financial services firm. For starters, we’re a fast-growing company, and we think and have fun like a start-up. Conveniently located on the commuter rail near the intersection of I-95 and the Mass Pike, we’re accessible from anywhere—and away from the congestion of a downtown commute.
Commonwealth recognizes that our people are our greatest asset by investing in training and professional development. As a result, Commonwealth has been recognized 40 times (and counting) as one of the Best Places to Work by top publications in the region (Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, San Diego Business Journal, San Diego Union-Tribune), as well as in the IT industry (Computerworld). With high marks in areas such as work environment, work/life balance, job satisfaction, and opportunities for advancement, Commonwealth is a place where you can thrive.
Discover what it’s like to be psyched to come to work every day! We offer you:
- Generous bonus and stock option incentive plans
- Use of our chairman’s vacation properties (Cape Cod, Lake Winnipesaukee, Sunday River, Key Biscayne, Las Vegas, Park City, the Bahamas, and the Dominican Republic) at no cost
- Fully paid maternity leave (12 weeks) and spousal leave (3 weeks)
- A more relaxed, “dress for your day” dress code
- A free on-site fitness center
- Ample opportunity to volunteer with and support local charities
- A VTO (volunteer time off) day to use toward a cause that’s important to you
- Tuition reimbursement
- Free breakfast on Fridays
- A competitive benefits package—and much more
About the OpportunityDoes the word “versatile” fit you to a T? Do the roles of consultant, coach, project manager, and strategist describe the contributions you’ve made in your business career? We are looking for someone with the capability and credibility to interact with our network of sophisticated independent financial advisors, helping them thrive in their own businesses with Commonwealth’s support. If you think you have what it takes, then let’s introduce ourselves.
- Responding to complex advisor practice management challenges and issues with passion and creativity
- Engaging with many of our top firms to address their most pertinent business issues, including business strategy, leadership, human resources, operations, marketing, business risk, growth strategies, business transitions, and partnership formation/dissolution
- Establishing long-term relationships with firms to help them progress toward their goals
- Taking a thought leadership role in a practice management area of interest; creating white papers
- Designing our consulting solutions to address complex business issues and participating in preparing the team to respond to the evolution of the industry and our advisors’ firms
- Leveraging strong problem-solving skills and experience to find solutions for scenarios that are outside of the norm or unique to the firm
- Identifying and developing strategies to help advisory firms make greater use of Commonwealth’s offerings, such as technology, operational efficiency resources, wealth management services, and compliance guidance, as well as practice management consulting
- Offering ideas and suggestions that support the team’s commitment to providing and improving upon value-added services
- Participating in training new hires for whom practice management or consulting may be new, as requested
- Presenting at Practice Management programs and Commonwealth conferences, as requested
- Writing for the Commonwealth Business Review and the Commonwealth Independent Advisor blog, as requested
- Thinking strategically about new value-added contributions from Practice Management
- Creating documents and integrating value-added projects to help firms learn about critical practice management issues
- Approximately 1–3 site visits per month, as well as other travel as requested or required
- 10+ years of experience as a consultant
- 10+ years of experience in the practice management arena, with broad and deep knowledge of the issues facing small business owners and financial advisors
- Bachelor’s degree and MBA required
- FINRA Series 7 securities registration desirable
- Strong understanding of the financial services industry, the RIA and broker/dealer landscape, and general business management issues
- Demonstrated ability to work independently under pressure
- Ability to work as both a collaborative team member and an individual contributor as workload and direction demonstrate; strong interpersonal and team-building skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent listening and follow-up skills
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, high-demand, dynamic environment
Have we piqued your curiosity? Can you see yourself thriving in this career opportunity, as well as our Anything but Common® workplace culture? If so—and if your background and experience align with our needs—please do submit your application right away.
Commonwealth Financial Network® is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to a diverse workforce.