MaxLinear is seeking a Senior Principal Signal and Power Integrity Engineer to join our high-performing team in either our Irvine, CA or Carlsbad, CA design centers (we have positions open in both locations in junior and more experienced levels and you only need to apply for one to be considered). We have a culture that thrives on innovation and allows you to learn, teach and grow while contributing to the success of our products and company. In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Design and simulation of state-of-the-art packages and boards for advanced communications SoCs as well as high-speed products
- Work cross-functionally with IC designers, Layout engineers, board designers, thermal engineers and test/characterization team to plan and architect the power delivery and Signal integrity needs of packages and PCBs for MaxLinear’s next generation products
- Work with leading suppliers to define and innovate new ideas to enable the industry while pushing the boundaries to achieve unprecedented performance on our products using the latest EDA tools and methodologies
- Work on a diverse set of applications ranging from Wireless 5G communications, power amplifiers, wired optical communications for 400G/800G involving NRZ, PAM4, and higher order modulation technology, and storage market targeted for Datacenters, AI, and machine learning
- Experience designing and simulating signal and power integrity solutions for high speed system components (packages, PCB, connectors)
- Strong understanding of Electromagnetic fundamentals and transmission line theory
- Understanding of jitter and how it impacts the design in the system environment
- Able to navigate in layout tools used for PCB and Packages
- High speed channel simulations for low BER and transient simulation for SI and PI
- Detailed understanding of s-parameters, Smith Chart and frequency domain analysis
- Self-motivated, solid communication skills, and ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Nice to Have:
- Understanding of different IEEE and Optical standards to define design guidelines
- Experience with electro-optic integration on packages; co-packaging of DC-DC convertors, regulator, TIAs or optical drivers. Multi-chip package design
- Familiarity with IC design flows, floor-planning, IO ring design, on-chip decoupling, and have used tools such as Totem for on-die EM/IR analysis
- Understanding of different TX/RX circuit designs and how SI/PI impacts such circuits.
- Expertise in equalization techniques such as FIR, CTLE, DFE, FFE and different types of noise in the system and channels and how to optimize EQ settings to mitigate them
- Hands-on experience with Oscilloscope, Spectrum Analyzer, and VNA
- Expertise in HSPICE, SPECTRE and ADS and be able to run time and frequency domain simulations for PDN analysis; use AMI models for channel simulations
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related + 10 years of experience, or MS + 8 years of experience, or Ph.D. + 5 years of experience
MaxLinear is a global, New York Stock Exchange-traded company (NYSE: MXL) where the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well. We are a fabless system-on-chip product company, striving to improve the world’s communication networks for everyone through our highly integrated radio-frequency (RF), analog, digital, and mixed-signal semiconductor solutions for access and connectivity, wired and wireless infrastructure, and industrial and multi-market applications.
We hire the best people in the industry and engage them in some of the most exciting opportunities that connect the world we live in today. Our growth has come from innovative, bold approaches to solving some of the world’s most challenging communication technology problems in the most efficient and effective manner.
MaxLinear began by developing the world’s first high-performance TV tuner chip using standard CMOS process technology. Others said we couldn’t achieve the extremely high-performance requirements using CMOS, but we proved them wrong and achieved enduring global market leadership with our designs. Since then, we’ve developed a full line of products that drive 4G and 5G infrastructure; enable data center, metro and long-haul optical interconnects; bring 10Gbit to the home; power the IoT revolution; and enable robust and reliable communication in harsh industrial environments. Over the years, we’ve expanded through organic growth and through several acquisitions that have perfectly complemented our existing portfolio and enabled us to deliver complete end-to-end solutions in our target markets. One such example was the acquisition of Intel’s Home Gateway Platform Division that added Wi-Fi, Ethernet, and Broadband Gateway Processor SoC technology to our connected home portfolio creating a complete and scalable platform of connectivity and access solutions to fully address our customers’ needs.
Our headquarters are in Carlsbad, near San Diego, California. We also have major design centers in Irvine and San Jose, California; Vancouver, Canada; Valencia, Spain; Bangalore, India; Villach, Austria; Munich, Germany; Israel; and Singapore.
We have approximately 1,500 employees, a substantial majority of whom have engineering degrees and include masters and Ph.D. graduates from many of the premiere universities around the world. Our employees thrive on innovation, outstanding execution, outside-the-box thinking, nimbleness, and collaboration. Together, we form a high-energy business team that is focused on building the best and most innovative products on the market.