The Product Engineer- Tempur Foam Products, will effectively serve as a key member of the company's engineering team. As a member of the Tempur Foam Products team, this position will be responsible for providing engineering support to products in production as it relates to quality improvements, efficiency improvements and cost reductions. As owners of current products, the product engineering team manages engineering changes for any reason. Product engineering includes support to manufacturing on root cause analysis, process troubleshooting & improvements and support to field service.
This role partners with Development, Manufacturing, Sales, Service, Marketing, and Sourcing to address any technical issues impacting current or future products. The role is also responsible for the coordination of new product introductions to manufacturing, with significant involvement in development of manufacturing processes, test methods for new product features and qualification plans. The individual that works in this role can expect to work across functions.
Current Product Support
* Work encompasses one or more areas of engineering including foam development, mattress/pillow/accy, textile/cover, product assembly, packaging, testing, and distribution.
* Resolving technical issues found by customers, in the TSI Supply Chain and at suppliers. Take lead to determine root cause and drive to closure.
* Manage Engineering Changes for assigned products (internally and with vendors)
* Compile/analyze data and report on Warranty/Returns and Service for current products. Monthly updates on PE activities and Product Quality. Develop and drive actions to improve customer satisfaction and cost.
* Apply statistical and other appropriate analytical methods to characterize product performance for improved fact-based decision making.
* Communication with vendors on a regular basis
* Participate with PPC team on cost reductions. Includes developing ideas, developing and executing project plans, performing test and evaluation, manufacturing feasibility, cost analysis
New Product Involvement
* Member of cross-functional Core Team representing Product Engineering on NPD Projects. Representation of and communications with all Operations functions not directly on the Core Tea
* Responsible for working with development on manufacturability and assessing readiness of the product and process for start of production.
* Updates to management prior to stage gate checkpoints
* Responsible for tracking and approval of tooling, cover/textile, special test equipment, packaging, new processes, and distribution. May develop test equipment and/or test methodologies. Provide information needed for Capital Approval process.
* Communicate current product issues with NPD team for improvement of new products.
Tempur Sealy is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type based upon race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
* Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering or equivalent technical degree.
* Leader with 5-10 years of experience in an Engineering environment, preferably in a consumer package goods industry.
* Project planning and management skills - Ability to set project goals, milestones, allocate and prioritize resources, activities and timetables; communicate and drive project deliverables
* Experience solving problems involving multiple engineering skill sets.
* Experience with products at both component and system levels a plus
* Must be willing to be hands-on with products for testing and failure analysis
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
* Strong spreadsheet skills (pivot tables, data analysis functions
* Experience with MiniTab and other statistical software is a plus
* Lean / Six Sigma Black belt training is a plus
* Presentation skills with the ability to communicate to multiple layers within the organization
* Exhibited experience in setting up DOEs and test plans
* Experience with Quality Systems to include 8D analysis, Corrective Actions, SPC, PPAP, Gauge R & R
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled