This position us located at our UPC home office in St. Petersburg, Florida. UPC is seeking an inside desk adjuster role for the Claims Department who will be tasked with handling low to intermediate exposure property claims from first notification through final settlement. The incumbent will be will responsible for investigation, evaluation, negotiation and settlement of first party property claims by performing the duties and responsibilities commensurate with level II claims.
Our mission statement is to Keep the Promise® – to our policyholders, our shareholders and to our stakeholders”. The promise to our policyholders is fairly and timely resolve their claims. Our business practices, processes, objectives and how we conduct ourselves daily is done so from the perspective of our policyholders rather than from our own convenience of how claims should be handled. This embodies the standard that our professional claims department strives to achieve every day, both in daily claims handling and CAT claims. Since the UPC mission is to be the premier provider of homeowner insurance in catastrophe exposed areas, we take our responsibility to Keep the Promise® as one of the fundamental tenets of accomplishing this mission.
- Interprets and applies policy coverage to loss.
- Communicates policy coverage and benefits to insured.
- Investigates and documents cause of loss and area of origin.
- May create, review, and/or approve estimates for the cost of repairs or replacement of damaged or destroyed property.
- Reports findings of investigation, coverage interpretation and damage estimates to company.
- Negotiates with insured, contractors, and vendors; may have limited interaction with public adjusters and attorneys under close supervision.
- Complies with timeliness, accuracy and service standards of the company.
- Complies with the legal, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains appropriate adjusters license and complies with continuing education requirements.
- Identifies and documents subrogation opportunities; Identifies and addresses salvage of damage or destroyed items.
- Identifies and investigates questionable and possible fraudulent activity.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Other duties may be assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
- A minimum of two (2) years property claims experience is required for the Senior Property Claims Adjuster position.
- Own and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ensures that all assigned claims are concluded equitably and promptly.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage relationships in a fast-paced environment, while demonstrating persistence and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional organizational, analytical, and negotiation skill sets.
- Knowledge of residential construction materials and standards.
- Functional computer skills and computer literacy, or the ability to acquire the skills, utilizing standard office software including Microsoft Office Suite, estimating software (e.g. Xactimate or Symbility), and web-based Claim and Policy Management Systems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Other consideration may be given for an Associate’s degree or an industry recognized designation(s) (e.g. CPCU, AIC, SCLA,) or a combination of education and equivalent experience.
- Florida DFS All Lines adjuster license or ability to obtain.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following behaviors:
- Motivation/Initiative: Motivated and curious, willing to ask questions, research issues and take on challenging projects/assignments; creative, brings new ideas to the table, exhibits self-confidence. Has strong achievement motivation and tenacity.
- Administrative Skills: Possesses ability to organize and follow-through on multiple tasks, recognizes and attends to important details with accuracy and efficiency, effectively prioritizes work of staff members. Works to complete goals, tasks and plans, anticipates potential problems and analyzes alternative solutions.
- Interpersonal Style: (Interpersonal Skills, Communication, Teamwork); develops/ maintains effective working relationships; listens attentively to others; communicates ideas clearly (written & verbal); relates to people in an open/ sincere manner; participates effectively in meetings; assists in finding solutions as well as identifying problems; communicates appropriately with supervisor, managed staff and co-workers.
- Self-Management: (Adaptability/Flexibility, Stress Tolerance, Autonomy); adapts readily to changes in routine; works effectively in stressful situations; needs limited guidance and direction; is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; is reliable and dependable; is results-oriented; maintains productivity and composure under pressure; views problems as opportunities to create solutions.
- Thinking Skills: Diagnoses problems efficiently; gathers sufficient input before making decision or plans; makes timely decision, quickly determines sources of problem, identifies information needed to solve problem and analyzes alternative solutions, communicates issues and decisions effectively to team.
- Customer Orientation: Sensitive & responsive to internal and external customer needs; demonstrates skills in customer services and satisfaction; maintains a positive attitude, willing to listen to customer problems and seeks solutions; stays in tune with changing needs of customers.
- Communicates Effectively
- Situational Adaptability
- Action Oriented
- Drives Results
- Time Management
- Strong Estimate Reconciliation
- Decision Quality
- Customer Focus
- Priority Setting
- Being Resilient
- Balances Stakeholders
- Organized and Efficient
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk; sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently expected to perform duties at a desk in an office environment. This involves sitting/standing at a desk and performing functions on a computer. This also involves speaking with customers by phone. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.