Title: Senior Purchasing Manager, Commodity Procurement
Department: Procurement and Logistics
Based in Washington, DC
Up to 20% international travel
Reports to the Deputy Director Procurement – Global Commodities
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a motley group of entrepreneurs and professionals with a diverse range of backgrounds all the way from the medical industry to the music business, all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI seeks a Senior Purchasing Manager, Commodity Procurement to provide leadership of PSI’s Malaria and HIV Commodity Procurement. The position provides services in commodity procurement, Commodity Technical Assistance and innovation of new products. Intrinsic to our procurement operations, the position would also have opportunity to provide inputs for procurement policies and manuals, reporting and data analysis and customer service focus to support the activities of the DC based Global Commodities Team to network members. This full-time position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Deputy Director of Procurement – Global commodities, may require travel of up to 20% to field offices and attendance at international conferences.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Manage communication with field offices to determine procurement need and appropriate delivery schedules;
- Manage bids for commodity purchases in accordance with appropriate funder, government regulations;
- Supervise bid openings as per funder /PSI processes and procedures;
- Prepare bid evaluations for field and/or funder review;
- Draft and/or contribute to the waiver request process, if any, prior to contract establishment or raising Purchase Orders;
- Develop and implement the process for quality checks at field and HQ level. Ensure that all items procured meet appropriate quality standards;
- Be responsible for “Procure to Pay” cycle for procurement activity;
- Oversee filling in accordance with company policies and/funder requirements;
- Provide short term technical assistance and capacity building to field offices and HQ staff;
- Promote and find opportunities for improved collaboration between Procurement and other departments;
- Manage reporting and provide status to field offices and other stakeholders;
- Lead the overall QA/QC process and standardization of product specifications in line with relevant international standards from time to time;
- Lead in review and evaluation of “Procurement & Supply Plans” for funder proposals;
- Be a dedicated resource from Procurement on “Foundation Market” team and work closely on understanding and fulfilling the need of procurement support for Network Countries
- Provide checks and balances on in country procurement activities of “Foundation Market” countries and implement the same.
- Review bids, contracts ,other documents and procurement process for in country procurement as per thresholds fixed from time to time.
- Support on new Product Innovation and Specification finalization in partnership with relevant technical teams.
- Work closely with Capacity Building and Compliance team to set up training needs on Good Procurement Process for in country procurement and related team members.
- Manage a team of Sr./Procurement officer as need be.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Measurement: You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt
- Commitment: You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin
- BA/BS degree in Business, Supply Chain Management, or related field or equivalent experience.
- MBA degree would be an added advantage;
- 10+ years of professional procurement experience;
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills – especially with time-sensitive work.
- Ability to compose in a creative, logical, and concise manner reports, presentations, or other written documents based on analysis of information.
- Demonstrated expertise with researching, interpreting, and applying multi- and bi-lateral funder regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Highly developed collaboration, management, and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated experience in exercising discretion and judgment.
- Knowledge of international development work, health programs a plus.
- Proficiency in French Language (both written and verbal) is a must.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.