Senior Research Associate-Histology (Temp)
About CytomX Therapeutics:
CytomX Therapeutics, Inc. is committed to changing the treatment of cancer with our novel Probody™ therapeutic platform. Our commitment to transforming lives with safer, more effective therapies is driven by our curiosity and passion for innovation and our belief that by acting with integrity in an honest, respectful, ethical manner, we have the power to change lives. Our workplace embodies collaboration, open communication, celebrating our successes and holding each other to the highest possible standards. CytomX has a broad pipeline comprised of 4 clinical-stage programs and others in development and is located in South San Francisco, California, the birthplace of biotechnology. Learn more at www.cytomX.com
Location: South San Francisco, California
Reporting Relationship: this position reports to Director of Molecular Diagnostics and does not have any direct report.
Senior Research Associate (histology) will have an opportunity to make a significant contribution to tissue based translational research to support CytomX oncology drug development.
- Conduct routine histology including specimen processing, embedding, slide preparation, microtomy/cryotomy, H&E and special histochemical staining, In Situ Hybridization on FFPE and fresh frozen sections
- Develop novel manual/automated IHC or ISH assays (single-plex and multiplex) and optimize existing assays
- Work with various types of auto-stainers (Leica, intelliPATH), slide scanner (Leica) and slide printers
- Perform manual image acquisition using fluorescent, bright field and confocal microscopy
- Perform digital scoring (Aperio, VisioPharm software)
- File and maintains storage of tissues blocks, glass slides, tissue controls
- Perform and assist with data entry and database updating for specimens in in-house tissue bank
- Conduct routine maintenance as well as cleaning of equipment; document remedial actions such as repairs or repeated tests and ensures proper and safe operation of various types of equipment
- Follow appropriate laboratory safety protocols and adhere to laboratory’s quality control policies and documents all quality control activities
- Assist in monitoring Quality Control performance and documentation and participate in the evaluation and/or development of new procedures, instrumentation, assays and quality improvement initiatives, as needed
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a science related subject with at least 5 years of experience in biotech/pharma industry (an equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered)
- Previous experience in cancer biology with tissue-based cancer biomarker development, strongly preferred.
- Extensive hands-on experience with frozen and paraffin sectioning, H&E, special and IHC stains.
- Extensive hands-on experience with auto-stainers (such as Leica, intelliPATH), digital pathology platforms (Aperio, VisioPharm).
- Demonstrate a commitment to CytomX values of Integrity, Commitment, Creativity, Teamwork, Accountability and Fun
- Team player who is highly organized and able to manage multiple concurrent projects with minimal oversight.
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity.
- Intellectually curious, enthusiastic, creative.
- Adaptable and resilient with a problem-solving orientation.
CytomX is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. CytomX will not discriminate against any job applicant because of race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.