Senior Research Associate � Therapeutic AAV Development
We are seeking an experienced BA/MA-level researcher to join a new program at the Allen Institute for Brain Science to develop and test new therapeutic AAVs to treat brain disorders including severe forms of epilepsy using a novel AAV-based cell type-specific expression system.
This Research Associate will conduct experiments to generate and evaluate novel therapeutic AAV viral vectors to address the unmet needs of several neurological diseases. This individual must have a background in viral vector development and application, and must be fully capable of independently designing and executing complex molecular biology experiments.
Experience with modern molecular genetic techniques including gene editing is desired, and a basic background in neuroscience and gene therapy is preferred. This individual must be excited by the prospect of joining a team science environment at the Allen Institute for Brain Science, to help develop new gene therapies for brain diseases.
- Design, build and evaluate new AAV vectors using standard molecular techniques.
- Identify and implement innovative strategies for correcting/rescuing mutated disease genes.
- Test expression of AAV-delivered transgenes using cell culture and in vivo testing.
- Establish and implement methods to measure expression of viral transgenes using qPCR, immunohistochemistry, and multiplexed fluorescence in situ hybridization.
- Rapid and transparent communication of all successes and failures.
- Presentation of results to group.
- Must follow good laboratory practices.
- BA/BS degree in a biological science or related field.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in a laboratory or research environment.?
- Experience in designing, executing, and trouble-shooting molecular biology tasks.
- Experience conducting immunostaining or FISH experiments.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs & Molecular Biology software, and
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- MS degree in a biological science or related field
- Neuroscience knowledge preferred.
- Experience with R and Python preferred.
- 8 years of experience in a laboratory or research environment.?
- Experience working in a timeline, milestone-driven, and team work environment.