Imagine...working for a company that knows that its people are the key to its success in the marketplace. A company in which achieving extraordinary results and having a stimulating work experience are part of the same process.
We cultivate and embrace a diverse employee population. We recognize that people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives fuel our growth and enrich our global culture.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, team oriented environment, likes to be challenged, and values the opportunity to make a difference.
The Senior Research Scientist is responsible for the coordination and execution of product development efforts for Bakery initiatives, including breads, buns, rolls, stuffing, layer cakes and puff pastry. This includes new products & platforms, line extensions, cost savings, alternate supplier and quality improvements.
The Senior Research Scientist position is a hands-on personal contributor position that may manage a technician, responds resourcefully to new demands and challenges throughout the product & commercialization process (including bench, pilot plant, and plant trials to create prototypes for consumer testing, etc.) and implements best practices.
The successful candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence decisions within the cross functional team (Marketing, Operations, Engineering, Manufacturing, QA, Sensory, Culinary, Packaging) and externally with and externally with partners such as vendors.
The Senior Research Scientist is expected to possess and demonstrate a solid understanding of food science, the business, operations and the commercialization processes. The approach should include a practical application and modification of existing products / new technologies or the identification and innovative creation of new and unique products which achieve business goals.
In addition, the position will include the ability to provide technical specifications and support to assure smooth rollouts of new products and processes during plant startups. This includes the provision of comprehensive process documentation to enable smooth commercialization and training of plant personnel. The Senior Research Scientist must support an environment that fosters innovation and calculated risk taking.
Essential responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Leading the identification, assessment and validation of formulations from bench-top through commercialization. This includes managing the financial aspects of product development including ingredient costs for plant trials.
- Ensuring all proper documentation is done accurately and on schedule and that objectives, budget and timetables are met.
- Conducting and leading assessment and capability studies, product startups / commercialization and provides on-site support to Plant Operations for new products, productivity and quality programs
- Fostering an innovation culture in Pepperidge Farm (Campbell Snacks) by continually introducing new ideas and product concepts for new products, quality improvements, and productivity.
- Creating, designing, supervising the development of new experimental protocols / best practices required to validate product concepts and prototypes.
- Independently directing the activities of outside vendors including ingredients and services.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with Senior Management as well as Plant Management.
- Must be a good problem solver; able to identify, interpret and analyze the correct data, and provide detailed direction to development projects.
- Active knowledge and understanding in areas beyond Product Development including Process and Package Development, QA, Project Engineering and thorough understanding of Marketing needs and financial hurdles.
- Sustain a high level of competence and professionalism in a dynamic business environment.
- Easily adapts to changing priorities.
We’re looking for the following abilities and skills:
- Bachelor of Science degree with a concentration in Food Science, Bakery Science, Food Process Engineering, or Chemical Engineering (Master’s degree is preferred).
- Product Development/Baking emphasis; preferably someone who has successfully commercialized baked products in the market.
- 4-8+ years of related experience with a consumer-packaged goods background; experience with bread baking unit operations is preferred. Experience in rolls, artisan breads, pasta, doughs and other baked goods is also relevant.
- Excellent analytical skills, strong attention to details, good communications and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle and lead multiple projects at any given time in a team environment.
- Passion for food science, product development and consumers as it relates to innovation for new products, line extensions, and productivity opportunities.
- Ability to think beyond his or her own (R&D) function to consider the organization holistically.
- Anticipated travel of up to 40%.
The Company is committed to providing equal opportunity for employees and applicants in all aspects of the employment relationship, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
In that regard, U.S. applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.