We are seeking a Senior Researcher/Engineer to join close-knit prototyping teams developing capabilities that enable warfighters to harness a diverse set of sensors and data sources to accomplish a variety of missions critical to our nation's defense.
As a senior researcher you will devise approaches and prototype solutions to unaddressed, critical military operational shortfalls through research, conceptualization, design, implementation, and analysis as a member of an established team that has fielded numerous highly regarded capabilities. Subject areas differ widely over time, but current projects focus on improving the exploitation of sensor data through object tracking, multi-sensor correlation and fusion, and analysis of large mission data sets. Knowledge and/or experience in any of the areas below are being sought:
- Application of knowledge of radar theory and signal processing, pulse doppler radar, synthetic aperture and inverse synthetic aperture radar, airborne moving target indicator radar, pulse compression radar, phased array radar and associated performance capabilities and limitations.
- Development of target detection and tracking from radar return to include specifying and programming target detection algorithms, clutter suppression techniques, Kalman (and similar) filters for track gate prediction and smoothing, target track initiation schema, and target track correlation and association algorithms.
- Development and application of multi-dimensional FFTs and alternative transforms, spatial/smoothing filters, enhancements techniques, image compression, and encoding standards.
- Development of algorithms and prototype functionality related to the automatic exploitation of airborne and ground-based Electro-Optical and Infrared full-motion video.
- Analysis, development and application of imagery/camera models, camera calibration, stereo imaging.
- Analysis and development of imagery registration techniques such as Random Sample Consensus (RANSAC) and mutual information.
- Analysis of passive intelligence systems to optimize the accuracy and ability to act upon derived direction finding and emitter location products and associated signal attributes.
- Application of knowledge of techniques, algorithms, network considerations and operational considerations for the fusion of data and information with a goal to improve operator understanding and produce tactically actionable information.
Typical duties you will be engaged in include:
1. Research concept development for solutions to unaddressed, critical military operational shortfalls.
2. Algorithm and system design and software implementation of proof-of-concept prototypes incorporating a variety of engineering disciplines: signal/video processing, data fusion, pattern recognition, high-performance computing, applied mathematics, data analytics, data science, and visualization.
3. Conduct prototype analysis and evaluation and experimental operations at military facilities
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
•PhD in EE, CS, or related field.
•Established track record of applying computer science and engineering expertise to address cutting edge challenges and real-world problems.
•Highly creative and interested in novel challenges. Self-starter able to work effectively in a demanding, multi-tasking environment.
•Candidate must be eligible to obtain a Secret clearance.
•Experience with complex software development
•5 years of experience with complex software development and significant knowledge of C++ or Java in a Linux/Unix environment
•Experience and Interest in leading research and development efforts
Special Working Conditions [Travel, working in closed areas, extended hours]:
Occasional travel and work at military facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft, requiring work outside of and in excess of normal working hours.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws, and values diversity in its workforce.