Life at Finless Foods
We at Finless Foods are a group of enthusiastic people charting a new course. As an early-stage company, we look to change the global commercial fishing trade by inventing ways to produce high-quality seafood without environmental trade-offs.
Our people are innovative, collaborative, inspired by our cause, and pushing the cutting edge of science. If you swim upstream, enjoy teamwork and thrive in a sea of data, we encourage you to send us a cover letter and resume.
SENIOR SCIENTIST, ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
About the Role
As a Senior Scientist, Analytical Chemistry you will be responsible for qualitative and quantitative analysis of small molecules and cellular metabolites using a variety of chromatographic, mass spectrometric, and spectroscopic techniques, including HPLC-UV-RID, Ion Chromatography, LCMS, GCMS and FTIR, ultimately helping develop cost-advantaged, high-quality seafood. As a member of the Specialization group, you will be closely working with the members of the Cell Biology, Tissue Engineering, Bioprocess Engineering and Food Science groups. The successful candidate will utilize her/his knowledge of a wide variety of analytical chemistry techniques to support and help achieve Finless Foods mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
- LCMS and GCMS analysis with high precision and accuracy to support tissue culture, bioprocess and product development
- Analytical method development for qualitative and quantitative analysis of small molecules and cellular metabolites utilizing Quadrupole Time-Of-Flight High Resolution LCMS ((QTOF HR LCMS) and GCMS
- Development of automated high-throughput (HTP) sample preparation and sampling platforms
- Analytical instrument procurement, maintenance and troubleshooting
- Data documentation, analysis, interpretation and communication to project teams and functional groups
- Work with contract research organizations (CROs), contract development and manufacturing organizations (CDMOs), academic core facilities and/or academic laboratories as needed
Education & Experience
- Advanced degree in Analytical Chemistry or related fields. PhD with 4+ years or MS with 7+ years of experience in the biotechnology or biopharmaceutical industry
- 7+ years of Analytical Chemistry method development for small molecules and cellular metabolites produced in animal cell culture and/or biopharmaceutical fermentation
- 3+ years of supervisory experience to a junior scientist or research associate is preferred
Skills & Qualifications
- Expertise and broad advanced knowledge of chromatography, mass spectrometry, spectroscopy and other analytical techniques. Specifically, experimental proficiency and proven records of method development and problem solving utilizing LCMS and HR LCMS (e.g., QqQ and/or QTOF platforms) are required
- Experience in analytical method development for small molecule and cellular metabolite analysis. Experience in proteomics and/or metabolomics is a plus
- Proficiency in LCMS and GCMS instrument troubleshooting and maintenance
- Experience with HTP analytical experimentation, automated liquid handling robotics and sample preparation platforms
- Advanced computer skills for data management, process and analysis; familiarity with Analyst, ChemStation and MassHunter software platforms is preferred
- Familiarity with animal tissue culture and bioprocess development is desirable
- Familiarity with G suite/MS Office and an electronic laboratory notebook (ELN) system is desirable
- Excellent organization and communication skills, written and oral in English
- Great team player with strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such this position requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. The position requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods.