Noblis is seeking a Senior Scientist Machine Learning for their Reston headquarters location.
The Machine Learning Senior Scientist will work across Noblis as the chief scientist for research and development (R&D) in the area of machine Learning and artificial intelligence to include computer vision, AI assurance, cybersecurity, forensics, and the life sciences, among others. The Senior Scientist will work with the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of Noblis and the executive team to develop and execute the strategy for the Machine Learning Research Center and associated internal R&D investment, while building Noblis’ machine learning-oriented new business funnel across the Federal Government. The Senior Scientist will work with Noblis' Mission Area Vice Presidents, business development, scientific researchers, and senior technical staff as well as proposal development teams to develop scientific solutions, integrate innovative approaches and technology, and incorporate feedback from Customers into current and new Noblis offerings and research.
This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Noblis.
The Senior Scientist, Machine Learning will
- Direct the Noblis Machine Learning R&D portfolio, ensuring R&D investments align to Noblis business strategy, growth objectives, and Customer research interests;
- Consult with and deliver machine learning expertise and new approaches to US Government Customers across Noblis’ Federal Civilian, Defense, Homeland Security, and National Security programs;
- Collaborate with the CTO, business development, and the executive team to develop solutions and to foster relationships with Federal Government Customers to include the DoD Services, DARPA, IARPA, the Department of Energy, and the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and others;
- Identify and pursue US Government-funded S&T opportunities / solicitations to include Broad Area Announcements (BAA) and Other Transaction Authorities (OTAs);
- Research and develop innovative, complex, leading-edge scientific and technology solutions, applying machine learning approaches across business opportunities and multiple domain areas including various defense and national security use cases, multimedia (voice, text, imagery, video), and life sciences, and integrate research outcomes into business capture and proposal development efforts;
- Drive technologies, research, and prototypes derived from Noblis’ internal research and development program into new Customer accounts in collaboration with the CTO and Mission Areas;
- Work closely with scientists and technical staff (e.g., data scientists, data engineers, infrastructure engineers, and software developers) from across the company to advance the development of Noblis service and platform offerings and inform Nobis investment in scientific research;
- Guide direction of and investment in the Noblis Machine Learning lab;
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of Noblis scientific, research, and technical capabilities and relay these capabilities to Customers both directly and in formal proposal submissions;
- Provide demonstrations of Noblis solutions and capabilities to potential government clients;
- Collaborate across diverse technology, scientific, shared service, and Customer facing organizations to engage clients and develop solutions that support their mission requirements;
- Understand the needs of our Federal Civilian, Defense, and National Security markets and how to position and apply our R&D investment and solution offerings to address their requirements;
- Provide overarching scientific and technical guidance to multiple concurrent programs and research projects to ensure they are on-track, on-time and meet project requirements and target outcomes:
- Master of Science (M.S.) degree in engineering, statistics, mathematics, computer sciences, or related field with 12+ years of experience in one or more scientific areas;
- 10 years specialized experience providing direct or consultant scientific support to major programs or system development efforts; experience managing scientific or technology performer work preferred at one or more US Government agencies (e.g., USAF, Army, DARPA, IARPA, DTRA, NASA, and/or the National Institutes of Health (NIH);
- Previous success developing business and acquiring Government funding for scientific research and/or prototypes via BAAs, OTAs, and other solicitations; any experience with other government funding agencies should be highlighted and include a description of roles and responsibilities to demonstrate adequate experience;
- Experience in applying chemical and/or biological scientific expertise to define and resolve system issues, perform analysis, and develop plans and requirements for complex systems;
- Ability to coordinate multi-disciplinary research teams and manage the preparation of analysis, evaluations, and recommendations for proper implementation of programs and systems;
- Possesses a scientific background or knowledge with the ability to understand scientific materials/applications/vernacular;
- Excellent communication to include technical writing and editing, communicating scientific concepts to non-scientific audiences, critical thinking, and interpersonal and customer service skills to engage senior private sector and US Government personnel;
- Ability to plan individual efforts and follow through to completion;
- Ability to multi-task and respond to quick turn-around requests;
- Competence to function efficiently in a fast-paced, demanding work environment;
- Top Secret (TS) clearance, with the ability to acquire/maintain SCI, is highly preferred
- PhD or equivalent in computer science, mathematics, statistics, data science / bioinformatics, physics, or other similar scientific or engineering area
- 5+ years of experimental work in computer science / engineering, or a scientific field
- Knowledge and understanding of a wide range of machine learning applications and methods to include deep learning (CNNs/RNNs), generative adversarial networks (GANS), model development, workflow automation, and training data set preparation.
- Understanding/experience in mission and/or policy as it relates to National Security, Law Enforcement, National Defense, Homeland Security, Aviation/Space, and/or Public Health
- TS/SCI preferred
Noblis and our wholly owned subsidiary, Noblis ESI, tackle the nation's toughest problems and apply advanced solutions to our clients' most critical missions. We bring the best of scientific thought, management and engineering expertise together in an environment of independence and objectivity to deliver enduring impact on federal missions. Noblis works with a wide range of government clients in the defense, intelligence and federal civil sectors. Learn more at Noblis -About Us
Why work at a Noblis company?
Our employees find greater meaning in their work and balance the other things in life that matter to them. Our people are our greatest asset. They are exceptionally skilled, knowledgeable, team-oriented, and mission-driven individuals who want to do work that matters and benefits the public. Noblis has won numerous workplace awards. Noblis maintains a drug-free workplace.
Noblis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race (as well as because of or on the basis of traits historically associated with race, including hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, and twists), color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.