Allen Institute for Immunology
The goal of the Allen Institute for Immunology is to understand the dynamic balancing act of the human immune system, how it senses friend from foe and what goes wrong when we�re ill. This will help us to improve immune health and how we diagnose, treat and prevent immune-related diseases. Everything we do begins with patients who are living with and suffering from these diseases. We believe that by unlocking the mysteries of the immune system, we can make a significant improvement in patients� health and well being. The Institute, located on South Lake Union in Seattle, Washington, employs a multi-disciplinary team approach where scientists, computational biologists and software engineers cooperate closely to meet these goals.
We are seeking a talented and enthusiastic individual to join the Allen Institute for Immunology�s software engineering team to develop a cloud-based technology ecosystem to manage and process large volumes of data, and make that data available for analysis, machine learning, and other applications.
We�re looking for a dependable, motivated software engineer to develop cloud-based services, applications, databases, client tools, and more. You will be responsible for defining requirements, creating prototypes, implementing great solutions, testing your code, and working with scientists and computational biologists to incorporate user feedback as part of the iterative development cycle.
- Design and build scalable and secure libraries, data storage solutions, and web services to capture data and enable fast access to it
- Document and communicate software architecture, design decisions, code approach, and socialize these decisions through peer review and architectural review
- Ensure that all of your projects build and deploy with a high degree of automation in a cloud-based environment
- Work with scientists, computational biologists and software engineers to transform complex requirements into software
- Perform software development duties using best practices - apply the concepts of iterative design and development, develop unit tests, participate in code reviews, etc.
- Is curious and enjoys learning new tools, languages, techniques and technologies relevant to software engineering
- Create solutions that solve real problems for our customers, based on data analysis, user interviews, and feedback loops
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor�s degree (BA or BS) in computer science or a related field
- 15 years of relevant experience or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Software engineering experience developing, building and deploying in a cloud-based environment including knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Ansible or similar tools
- Experience with modern software engineering processes such as Agile
- Experience with back-end software engineering, e.g., REST APIs, microservices, data processing, SQL and NoSQL database technology
- Experience with programming languages like Java or GoLang
- Experience working with extremely sensitive data (PHI, HIPAA, etc.)
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative problem solving skills
- Passion for new technology and customer focus
**Please note, this opportunity does not sponsor work visas and has no relocation assistance**
*** we are not accepting agency candidates for this role***
It is the policy of the Allen Institute to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Allen Institute will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.