DISH is a Fortune 250 company with more than $13 billion in annual revenue that continues to redefine the communications industry. Our legacy is innovation and a willingness to challenge the status quo, including reinventing ourselves. We disrupted the pay-TV industry in the mid-90s with the launch of the DISH satellite TV service, taking on some of the largest U.S. corporations in the process, and grew to be the fourth-largest pay-TV provider. We are doing it again with the first live, internet-delivered TV service – Sling TV – that bucks traditional pay-TV norms and gives consumers a truly new way to access and watch television.
Now we have our sights set on upending the wireless industry and unseating the entrenched incumbent carriers.
We are driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win – it’s in our DNA. We’re looking for people with boundless energy, intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve to join our team as we embark on the next chapter of our story.
Opportunity is here. We are DISH.
This role can be located in either our Superior, CO or Cheyenne, WY offices.
A successful software engineer will have the following:
- Bachelors or Masters degree, preferably in computer science, computer engineering or other technical (STEM) field, or equivalent amount of education and experience.
- Strong problem solving skills and willingness to take on difficult engineering challenges.
- At least 8 years of experience in software development using Java, C#, Erlang or other related languages.
- Experience building scalable software in a distributed, service oriented architecture.
- Have a strong knowledge of software design and architecture principals.
- The ability to participate in design discussions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to work with minimal direction and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- The ability to keep abreast of technologies and paradigms and recognize when they can benefit the business and the software team.
- The ability to learn and work with various languages and platforms as needed.
- Understanding of distributed software systems, asynchronous messaging, and RESTful Web Services.
- Working knowledge of digital broadcasting technologies like DVB, MPEG2 or MPEG4.
- Familiarity with the agile software development methodology.
Our team works closely with engineering and technical broadcast teams to learn their business, and with that knowledge, we create or enhance software systems that empower those teams. The software we provide is focused on the real-time monitoring of over 6000 TV channels and the systems involved in producing and delivering a DVB television service. As a teammate on our agile software team, you will participate in the design, creation, and support of these systems.
Examples of our systems include:
- The validation of 600 MPEG transport streams, including bit rate, CC errors, and other content issues.
- The remote monitoring of the RF satellite transports.
- The acquisition of our broadcast TV channels and its transport to remote monitoring centers.
- The tracking of outages and issues that occur on our broadcast channels.
Primary responsibilities fall into the following categories:
- Lead the software design and architecture process.
- Lead the design discussions with other members of the team.
- Mentor junior members of team.
- Write clean and highly performant code.
- Participate in an on-call rotational duties with other team members.