What skills do you need?
We are looking for an experienced full stack developer. Some of the technologies we use are React, Redux, Node, Elixir, Java, and AWS. Our general approach is language agnostic, choosing the best language for the job. We are ideally looking for a "T-shaped developer" — someone who has a broad interest and understanding of technology and the web, but also has deep interest in a specialized area. Being a Zappos developer sometimes isn’t a full-time programming job. We want someone who has their own big ideas, loves brainstorming sessions, and will participate in user research.
Zappos Tech is always in search of people that are self-starters, visionary thinkers, and people who don’t mind a little bit of ambiguity. There are many open ended problems that there are no solutions for...yet.
What you will be doing on a daily basis:
- Improve, debug and maintain APIs that power the zappos.com customer facing website. Thinking about scalability, monitoring and security 100% of the time.
- Designing applications from top to bottom. Using your experience and analytical skills to pick between many options with different pros and cons.
- Troubleshooting and fixing tough problems, not being afraid to dig into the details. Hitting quick deadlines and knowing when to push back on requirements
- Mentoring other developers, raising the bar on coding standards and providing meaningful feedback on code changes
- Collaborating with UX, Product Management and other Engineers to think up and build experiments. Iteratively improving the customer experience
- Standing on the front lines to help solve the problems of the day.
- Working in a relaxed atmosphere full of a diverse set of people and skills
- 5-7+ years production software development experience
- BS or MS in Computer Science (or related field)
- Solid computer science fundamentals (theory, data structures, algorithms)
- Experience with web services
- Experience with unit/integration testing
- Strong frontend development skills
- Experience with React, Nodejs and Redux
- A deep understanding of Java 8 and experience with the Spring Framework
- Experience with AWS technologies including DynamoDB, Elastic Beanstalk, ECS, SQS, SNS, S3
- Experience with dev ops automation and a reflexive cringe when the continuous deployment pipeline is broken
- Have made major contributions to the design and/or architecture of multiple production projects.... preferably ones that have thousands or millions of users.
- You have strong opinions but also have a strong desire to learn
- A desire to teach others what you know
- You like birthday cake... lots and lots of cake
What you didn’t know about the team: We are a well-rounded team that believes that great ideas can come from anywhere whether it be in a conference room or written on a napkin at the bar!