- Understanding of relational and non-relational databases and their patterns
- Prioritization of performant, reusable, scalable, high-quality code
- Fundamental appreciation for unit, behavioral and automated testing
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills for all audiences
- Experience working as a part of an Agile team where velocity matters
- Experience as a measured, supportive, committed code reviewer
- Experience with continuous integration workflows
- Experience with Docker, Fastly VCLs, GitLab and GCP
- Experience with MySQL/Aurora, MongoDB and GraphQL (Cypher)
- Experience with NodeJS, Express, Fastify, React, Redux and Selenium/WebdriverIO
- Experience with programmatic header bidding (Pubmatic, DFP/GAM, A9)
- Experience with large-scale, highly available digital products
- Passion for self-education and a love of learning words
We're seeking a focused Senior Software Engineer. We're passionate about building great products and are inspired to unlock the power of language through technology. We're creating a high-performance, collaborative culture here in Oakland, California. We're searching for a driven individual who shares this mentality to join our team.
In our office, we promote:
- Autonomyto innovate, identify new opportunities and take on responsibilities
- Diversity of experience, background, interest and talent at every position
- Development through mentorship and a specialized education allowance
- Ownershipof products, processes and the methods of production
- Truth through honesty, transparency and accountability
- Implement platform technology, APIs, automation tooling and modern ad tech
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Product, Analytics, Ad Yield and Data Science
- Come up with ways we can improve site reliability, RPS, monitoring and alerting
- Have a seat at the table in critical decisions about software direction
- Deliver quality products every week, every sprint, every quarter
Who We Are
Dictionary.com is committed to eliminating anxiety with the English language through simple, expertly crafted definitions, the perfect synonyms, and rich narratives about the intersection of words and culture. We are the leading digital source for everything related to words and their meanings, with 70 million monthly users and 100 million app installs. We believe words are core to the human experience, and as such, we’ve made it our mission to deliver the best dictionary and thesaurus imaginable to the largest audience possible.
The Dictionary.com team exudes energy and a passion for words and language and is driven to invest in the people and products that will propel Dictionary.com forward another 20+ years.
This is an outline of the primary responsibilities of this position. As with everything in life, things change. The tasks and responsibilities can be changed, added to, removed, amended, deleted and modified at any time by the leadership group.