Our code runs inside hundreds of thousands of customer applications. While we have no control over the hosts and environments our agent runs in, our customers depend on it being 100% reliable and having minimal performance impact.
We write code for the wild, and it's not easy. But we've been doing this for years, and would love to share what we’ve discovered. Ideally, you have things to teach us, too!
The PHP/C Agent team is looking for a software engineer to help us build lightweight, dependable data collection software that our customers trust enough to put into their production applications.
What You'll Do
- Write efficient C. Customers run our code in their production systems, so we obsess over quality, doing excellent work every time, and helping each other strive for this excellence.
- Write tests. Our comprehensive test suite means we go to great lengths to make sure each release is thoroughly tested and dependable.
- Support our agents. We take rotations where we assist our dedicated support team to help customers solve issues and get the most of the agent. We're accountable: Our customer's problems are our problems, too.
- Provide technical leadership for new feature development. Collaborate with internal users and engineering teams to complete market validation, through creation or review of multi-language feature specifications, designs and documentation.
- Be the “voice of engineering”: advocate for engineering priorities through partnering with engineers, engineering management and product management. A deep understanding of our customers' problems informs your perspective on the products we bring to market
- Help iterate on our processes, practices, and culture as we grow through active collaboration with those around you. We believe in the power of pairing to share information and ensure quality. It also enables learning and up-levels each team member
- C expertise: We write portable, efficient and readable C code.
- Comfortable with working in ambiguity, but also seek to minimize the unknown by utilizing standard methodologies, meta-work skills (project management, communication, work estimation) and well-reasoned opinions.
- A passion for sharing your knowledge for the benefit of those around you, demonstrating a true growth mindset that encourages teammates to seek you out as a mentor. You mentor and pair with team members to facilitate mutual growth.
- You have strong verbal and written communication abilities, and can effectively explain complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical people. This team writes proposals, specs, and retrospectives. We give talks, and we demo the work we are doing
- You care about the “Second Job”: Our “first job” is the job we were hired for (all of the above). Our “second job” is helping those around us to succeed at their jobs. Balancing first and second jobs makes us smarter, more effective, and happier.
- PHP and Go development experience.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Who Should Apply
We value teams with varied strengths, with a broad set of skills and viewpoints. If this seems like your dream job, but you're not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We'll carefully consider every applicant that takes the time to apply for this specific position.
When you apply, be sure to include a cover letter telling us what interests you about this position and why you think it would be a good fit. Cover letters matter to us — we really read them.
Our office is in the center of downtown Portland, situated in a thriving tech community in the Pacific Northwest. We enjoy easy commute access and a plethora of good eats and great coffee. We provide competitive compensation including equity and big-company benefits (medical, dental, etc.)—all while maintaining the energy, agility and fun of a start-up.
New Relic (NYSE: NEWR) is the industry’s largest and most comprehensive cloud-based instrumentation platform built to create more perfect software. The world’s best software and DevOps teams rely on New Relic to move faster, make better decisions and create best-in-class digital experiences. If you run software, you need to run New Relic. We’re proudly trusted by more than 50% of the Fortune 100.
Founded in 2008, we’re a global company focused on building a culture where all employees feel a deep sense of belonging, where every ‘Relic’ can bring their whole self to work and feel supported and empowered to thrive. We’re consistently recognized as a distinguished employer and are committed to building world-class products and an award winning culture. For more information, visit newrelic.com.
Our Hiring Process
In compliance with applicable law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work and to complete employment eligibility verification. Note: Our stewardship of the data of thousands of customers’ means that a criminal background check is required to join New Relic.
We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records based on individual circumstances and in accordance with applicable law including, but not limited to, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. New Relic does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with New Relic.