The purpose of this role is to perform business research and analysis that is designed to improve business decisions that contribute to the growth of Kaiser Permanente Health Plan in the Washington Region. The Strategic Market Planning Senior Analyst supports strategy development for one or more lines of business which will inform the growth and market planning essential to KP's revenue, membership and margin goals. The role requires the ability to develop business questions, identify and gather relevant data, structure data into a usable format, explore the data through analysis until insights are gleaned, and communicate insights to various audiences to support decision making. Provides oversight for the content, format, and production of regular and ad hoc reports. Contributes to overall department objectives/goals based on global knowledge of industry and organizational strategic issues.
- Supports 1-2 major market strategy teams concurrently in the development of multi-year strategies and annual operating plans by producing detailed market assessments that identify emerging external market, internal membership and financial trends for each business line.
- Designs and project manages targeted research projects which includes identifying data sources, collecting data from various sources, analyzing data using one or more quantitative techniques, and ultimately deriving strategic insights from the data. Uses the information gathered to develop standard reports. Draws conclusions about trends, variances (against plan, year-over-year, etc.) and business performance. Presents information and distributes reports.
- Serves as subject matter/technical expert on LOB membership, rate position, and financial performance reporting. Prepares presentations and backup support for management, effectively leveraging infographics as appropriate (e.g., market assessments, business issue analytics and reporting, etc.). Supports rate position analytics along with other strategic projects.
- Works with Manager and/or other business owners to investigate the performance drivers and identify complex market strategy/business line issues. Develops recommendations to address problems/issues and informs the supervisor, project leader or manager.
- Coordinates the production & communication for all standard and customized reports for the department/division. Develops & implements guidelines for report presentation formats. Participates in work groups or teams as an analytical representative of the department/division. May design & maintain the departmental/division web page.
- Collaborates with Director and consultants within Strategic Market Planning to determine other duties as assigned.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in marketing strategy, market/strategic planning, product management/development, financial services and/or consulting is required.
- Bachelor's degree in economics, math, statistics, business administration, health care administration or a related field.
- License, Certification, Registration
- Experience leading complex, interdisciplinary projects to a timely completion is required.
- Strong knowledge of strategy concepts and tools (e.g., product/price/promotion/channel strategies, SWOT analysis).
- Strong analytic skills, ability to structure complex analyses including pricing, financial, competitive and economic data.
- Highly organized self-starter with the ability to perform multiple tasks and strong attention to detail.
- Skilled in MS Excel, Power Point, and Word, required.
- Experience with MS Access, SQL and/or other Business Intelligence tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including development of presentations (MS PowerPoint) required. Must be able to use data to visually tell a story to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to engage with a variety of audiences and facilitate analytic projects across functional teams required.
- Master's degree.