The Structural Designer must be able to provide innovative packaging solutions in a timely manner to RR Donnelley s packaging customers. Develop cost-effective, structurally sound retail packaging, educational marketing kits, point of purchase displays, as well as redesigning existing packaging for improved performance and supply chain efficiencies.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop structural design solutions for folding carton, corrugated, and alternative packaging materials. Rigid box and thermoformed packaging experience a plus.
- Manage design projects and maintain effective communication as subject matter expert to sales, customer service, and manufacturing.
- Create 3D renderings of packaging concepts to the standard set by management team for initial customer presentations. This includes 3D PDF outputs from ArtiosCAD, as well as exploded-view schematics and detailed assembly instructions.
- Create high-end, flawless packaging prototypes for customer presentations.
- Create organized, clear, and consistent specifications, dielines, and BOMs.
- Ensure all designs meet customer testing standards.
- Follow direction of the management team to ensure proper design protocols and procedures are followed.
- Be able to interpret concrete and abstract direction from customers, sales and management to develop a solution that exceeds customer expectations.
- Work collaboratively with design team members to identify and develop the best possible packaging solution.
- Effectively communicate reasoning behind design decisions.
- Maintain clear organization of large ongoing projects involving a multitude of components and revisions.
- Remain up to date on new packaging trends, materials, and technology.