VHB is GROWING! The Raleigh, NC office is seeking a Senior Structural Engineer to join their Structures group. This is an exciting opportunity to work within a dynamic team, across diverse disciplines, giving you exposure to a wide variety of projects in size and scope. VHB has consistently been rated as one of the top Engineering Firms to work for up and down the East coast, was awarded “Employer of the Year” by WTS in 2018, and has a 100% CEO approval rating on Glassdoor.
VHB’s passionate group of professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments. Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
In this position, you would be responsible for the structural analysis, design, and detailing of bridge and other transportation-related structural projects, as well as helping to lead and mentor our technical staff.
The ideal candidate should possess a “can-do” attitude, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to work independently as well as with a team in a dynamic, fast-paced, and innovative consulting firm. The position includes opportunities for personal and professional development and growth in one of VHB’s fastest-growing offices.
- Perform engineering design of highway, pedestrian, and railroad bridges and other structures and check other engineer’s designs
- Manage and mentor engineers and designers on project assignments
- Participate in project decisions regarding technical approach, costs, and scheduling
- Work closely with other disciplines on multi-discipline projects and serve as technical liaison with clients on projects
- Review and check plans, specifications, cost estimates, reports, and final bid packages for bridges and other transportation-related structures
- Perform project QA/QC
Skills & Abilities:
- Must possess strong technical skills
- Proficient with NCDOT design standards, specifications, and policies
- Requires effective time management, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent attention to detail and strong communication (written and verbal)
- Team-oriented with strong capability to work independently
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- Licensed PE required
- Minimum of 10 years of engineering experience with LRFD concrete and steel design
- Independent experience developing bridge design and detailing (Steel, concrete, prestressed concrete) and seismic analysis
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and structural engineering software (LARSA 4D, MDX, Conspan, MerlinDASH, Mathcad)
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience working with MicroStation v8i and AutoCAD Civil 3D is a strong plus
- We regret, that at this time we are unable to provide sponsorship for employment visas
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.