Senior Systems Architect
Arizona State University
GPIS Info Sec Arch & Design
ASU is the largest state university and for the last four years in a row has been recognized as the most innovative university by US News and world Report. The University Technology Office (UTO) Governance, Policy and Information Security team at ASU is seeking a Senior Director and Lead Architect to join our high-performing and growing team. Reporting to the Deputy CIO and Chief Information Security Officer, this person performs complex evaluation, analysis and design of technological solutions across the Enterprise to ensure the university's technology platforms, architecture, networks, and applications support business, technology and security planning consistent with future strategic objectives and goals. The complexity of this position requires a leadership approach that is engaging, imaginative, and collaborative, with a sophisticated ability to work with other leaders to set the best alignment of security strategies and enterprise IT strategies in support of research, education and business priorities across the Enterprise.
Depends on experience
- Influences enterprise wide security architecture defining system design requirements and standards providing guidance to technology leadership in defining business strategy.
- Works closely with network engineering on designing hybrid networks that align IT delivery with business needs consistent with established enterprise standards.
- Oversees implementation of technological solutions to ensure support of future business strategy across the Enterprise
- Identifies and coordinates appropriate resources to ensure optimum system efficiency
- Directs implementation of continuous system enhancements to ensure timely and accurate activities to maintain and/or improve system integrity
- Reviews, consolidates, and develops business rational/justifications associated with business partners' IT plans and strategies
- Manages and oversees system and resource requirements necessary to build architecture standards for the Enterprise to ensure overall system integrity
- Designs and proposes architectures that align IT delivery with business needs consistent with established enterprise standards
- Provides ongoing evaluation and assessment of Enterprise alignment of infrastructure, applications and customer/system design requirements and impact to strategic business and technology planning
- Researches, identifies, and recommends new/emerging technologies and technical trends that add value across the enterprise; provides impact assessment of proposed changes to future state architecture
- Propose development and implementation policies, standards, and procedures to ensure compliance with established standards, requirements, and regulations
- Develops and maintains effective working partnerships with all stakeholders including, but not limited to internal and external customer, vendors and service partners by facilitating appropriate involvement in planning and operations to ensure a collaborative and supportive working environment.
- Participates in enterprise wide technology planning to determine technology architecture defining system design requirements and standards providing guidance to technology leadership in defining business strategy
- Establishes and influences supplier and customer relationships to ensure business requirements are met; manages contracts with vendor organizations to ensure alignment and performance against contracted standards
- Develops, maintains and publishes enterprise-wide security standards, procedures and guidelines.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or closely related field AND eight (10) years of related experience in the area(s) of technical architecture, client/server, network management, information analysis, database management in a mission critical multi-tiered environment, leading a team OR twelve (12) years of recent relevant experience OR any equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of common enterprise level security technologies and information technology.
- Experience with cloud-first approach and developing a cloud security strategy.
- Demonstrated knowledge on networking infrastructure, protocols, and services.
- Demonstrated level of leadership skills with customers and team members alike.
- Evidence of effective communication and presentation skills at technical and non-technical levels.
- Evidence of high level of knowledge of high performance computing requirements and environments.
- Experience with enterprise Architecture (Infrastructure and Applications), TOGAF experienced/certified application of methodology in developing architecture and design.
- Experience with technical knowledge of and experience with network solutions for Data Center Architecture, Optical Network, WAN/LAN, SDN, NFV, Load Balancer, Firewall, PON, and Wireless.
- Experience with technical knowledge of and experience with enterprise network architecture, design, and implementation for both IT and OT (operating technology).
- Demonstrated knowledge in network and system architecture (subsystems, interfaces, HW/SW dependencies).
- Demonstrated knowledge of TCP/IP, IPv4/Ipv6, L2/L3, firewalls, VPN, SNMP, network monitors, and protocol analyzers.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with wireless, routing, switching, load balancing, and firewall design and processes.
- Demonstrated knowledge of troubleshooting EIGRP, MPLS, BGP (eBGP/iBGP), Qos, VSS, and multicast.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and future trends in computing technologies and management practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current operating systems and computer architecture with emphasis on networked computing.
- Evidence of certifications including one or more of the following: CISSP, CCSP, GIAC, CEH, CCNA, and CCNE.
- Demonstrated knowledge of customer service and consensus building skills through attempts to acknowledge differing needs, understanding, and objectives which may result in conflict.
- Experience in articulating creative and technologically complex solutions.
- Experience with implementation of industry standard security frameworks, standards, and controls.
- Experience with the principles, practices, methods, and techniques of information architecture, strategic planning, project management, and process/workflow mapping
- Experience stimulating changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment
- Experience in leading by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (10%)
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (15%)
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals
The University Technology Office embraces its role as both an enabler and catalyst for advancing the vision and work of the New American University. We are a values-driven organization. Our commitments are reflected in all of the work we do in pursuit of operational excellence, the experience and delight of our community, and our strategic and innovation initiatives. Applicant must be eligible to work in the United States; ASU UTO will not be a sponsor for this position.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
Arizona State University is committed to providing safety and security resources and information for our students, faculty, staff, and visitors. In accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), ASU publishes an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, which includes safety and security policies and procedures, crime and fire prevention information, crime and fire statistics, and numerous resources for current and prospective students and employees. To access the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report online, visit https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf . A hard copy of this report may be obtained, free of charge, by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456 or by visiting the ASU Police Department at 325 E. Apache Blvd., Tempe, Arizona, during business hours (M-F, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement:
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Fingerprint Check Statement:
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply:
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ click "External Applicant" under Jobs at ASU, enter Req Id# 48992BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&jobid=3727129#jobDetails=3727129_5494